Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If all your doing is changing the piston, with out a cam, port work, exhaust, ect,.
You lookin at about a 2-3 hp gain with a 660 (11:1 comp)
and about a 3 hp gain with a 686.

Your best economical bet is the 11:1 stock bore, a stage 1 cam and a good exhuast/ jet kit/k&n filter.
That should put ya in the neighborhood of 50hp.

If you don't have a pipe yet, make that your first upgrade.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Once you got to a 686, if your cylinder needs bored becasue of wear ect, in the future, you'll have to get a new sleeve.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The 100.5mm (20 over) piston is a good choice, you'll have to get the cylinder bored but you'll also know you are starting with a good round bore. If you use Wiseco pistons, that still leaves room for 2 more bores on the stock cylinder (101 &102mm)

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
Yamaha thought it was worth it for the '06 revamp of the Raptor.
LOL, yeah with a cylinder coating and new cylinder.

Go 100mm, 100.5mm, or 101mm. The difference in power will be very small, but the difference in insurance from future problems and repairs is significant.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
what is the stock compression ratio? can you get the 11:1 piston in a kit with the rings, gaskets, and the whole 9 yards???? if so, where? if not, where is a good place to get the 11:1 piston. i may be tearing apart my top end to do some repairs and figured "since im in there, i might as well do some work". so after reading this thread, it kind of convinced me to keep the stock bore and just get a higher compression ratio piston and cam. but i do want to run on pump gas (91 oct. or lower).

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Once again, I would go with the 100.5mm and not the stock bore size. If your machine has some time on the motor, the bore will show wear, get it bored 020 over once you get the 100.5 piston and you'll know it is back to factory specs. You'll get a much better ring seal and life span from a fresh bore.

I can get you the piston and top end gasket set, PM me if interested.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you dont like problems at all go with stock. But i have been very happy with my 686 11:1 . stuck with a stage one cam so i didnt have to mess with the head now it runs a 14t front 39t rear sprocket and screams. so much funner than stock!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.