Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of replacing 2nd gear in my Raptor, and while trying to do so correctly, I'm also trying to not break the bank. The top end looks perfect, so its not like I have to go bigger on the piston, but my question for everyone who has done it, is a 11:1 102mm piston going to make more power than a stock piston with a Stage 2 hot Cam? I can do either or, with the cam coming later if I go with the 686, and vice-versa for the piston kit coming later if I go with the cam. Any input would be awesome. I don't want to go bigger, and have the bike struggle because of the stock cam, but I also don't want to go with a HC2, and have not have the displacement to justify it (doubtful?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have just fitted a stake 2 cam with stock piston and i love it.
but i think if i was in your position where the piston can be changed easilly i would do the piston first a cam change is pretty simple and could be done at a later date.
Are you running lid on? exhaust? jetting?
i found taking baffles out lid off and a vitos kit give me the most noticable power and didnt cost much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already jetted for no lid, aftermarket filter kit, and full Pro Circuit pipe. I guess I should have put that in my original post.

Both jobs are fairly easy, so I'm just looking for the most immediate power gain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
id say do both and then you wont have too waste money on gasket set again lol and you wont have the hassle of stripping it again only reason i didnt is the piston in mine has only done about 6hrs use
but i noticed the power difference on the cam instantly i done a mild polish and port aswell and matched the intake boots next is a tidy exhaust but waiting for the right one on ebay ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to do both, but I'm not sure its in the cards right at the moment. I'm leaning towards the cam / springs, and re-jetting at this point, unless someone convinces me that the over-bore will make more power now.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I would love to do both, but I'm not sure its in the cards right at the moment. I'm leaning towards the cam / springs, and re-jetting at this point, unless someone convinces me that the over-bore will make more power now.
If the cylinder is 100% true, and round, then you dont need to go oversize, but you could still go to a higher compression piston and add some extra bottom end and power.............
I should add, that a cylinder that looks good, may not actually be 100% true and or round, I have seen this lots, and the place where it is the worst is at the bottom of the sleeve.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I still haven't mic'ed it to check. I have too many projects going at once, and it's making it difficult to finish the Raptor. Obviously if the cylinder is bad my decision is made for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts