Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building my 686 and wanting some input on p&p. Im no stranger to engine building, just my first of these. I was planning on "cleaning" up my head myself. Just some mild port matching to the upp intake boots when they get here and shining up the exhaust. assuming there is a smooth trandition into the hmf header, havent looked yet. I was wondering if any of you had done this yourselves and had any tips you would be willing to give up. On the other hand, Im contiplating sending it off and having someone else do it that is more experienced with them. So ilf you know of a good reasonable priced and fast place you recomend, that would be great too. If i send it off, im going to let them install the valves too so i dont have to deal with the middle valve guide issue with my kw springs and stage 2. oh yeah, what they charged you would be great. thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Dont open the ports up to much. They are already about the right size. If you do send it off to a shop a valve grind job is usually part of the port work so your valves will have fresh faces. It is also a good time to replace the valves since it only cost the price of the new valves.

I have a kenz cycle tech ported head. He does a really good job. +1mm ferrea stainless valves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got some kw black diamonds with the springs, stock size though. That porting looks real good. do you remember what he charged and how long to took to get it back?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
A couple weeks maybe three.

www.kenzcycletech.com is his web site. Call him up he is a really easy going guy.
I had him do some work to it a couple times. The first port job was for running a stage 2 hot cam, stock valve size, port matched stock intake boots. I think it was 450 or so but that has been 5 years ago.

This last summer I had him update the port work. Ported the head for +1 valves, and cut the valve guids for a megacycle cam. It was 650 for the updeated port work, +1 ferrea stainless valves, megacycle x4 camshaft, and to shorten the vavle guids for the x4 cam.

He has prices on his web page. It might be the cheaper route to go. It seems like a chunck of cash but if you go through the list of parts that will let you know about how much the port work costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts