Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a new to me super-sweet 700 with a 734 big bore kit. my other 700 is stock but my question is did the 700's have the same issues with breaking cranks after you started building them up that the 660's did? i guess the guy did all top end nothing to the bottom.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
just picked up a new to me super-sweet 700 with a 734 big bore kit. my other 700 is stock but my question is did the 700's have the same issues with breaking cranks after you started building them up that the 660's did? i guess the guy did all top end nothing to the bottom.
Well since the turbo guys are running 80-90+ hp on ss/sb id say no

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. i figured for sure someone here would know. what about the clutch, the stock clutch handle the 734 kit?

·
"Sand Hustler"
1,644 Posts
Didn't lucas get 136 hp out of his?
Not saying they dont make power, I am just saying that the only cranks i here about breaking are hot rod cranks...i know a few people personally that have had them break....hell, I have one makin 107hp on spray.....maybe it was just a bad batch....I hope :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Im not sure about the stock cranks breaking but there are a few that have the rod bearings go out in for no apparent reason. Mine included.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The 660's never had any problems with breaking cranks, it's the stock rod that is weak.

The 700's stock rod holds up better, you can get into a pretty serious build before most would recommend replacing it unlike the 660 where it could go south at just about any level of modification.

There have been a couple of HR stroker crank breaks with the 700R, but to say they have been the only ones would be an exaggeration. And the number of HR stroker cranks out there running just fine after many hours wouldn't keep me from recommending them.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The stock 660 crank is bullet proof, the rods are not that good though, I have seen a lot of them break and cause some serious damage.

In my own raptor engine, I have the Carrillo rod, this crank is in its second base, I had problems a few years ago where the counterbalancer teeth broke causing the counterbalancer and rod to collide and the counterbalancer was blown right out of the engine, the crank is still turning though, but with a new rod............

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well when i said crank i guess i should have been more specific as to the rod. i generally just think of it as all one peice but yeah i was aware of the 660 rod problems i was just wondering if the 700's had the same problem.

willy- we had the pin on the counter balace break on a motor once. very lucky all it did was take out the rod.

·
Registered
615 Posts
yeah thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. i figured for sure someone here would know. what about the clutch, the stock clutch handle the 734 kit?
Mine put down 72/52 on the dyno and I have never been into the clutch on mine, everything in there is still the same as I bought it new in 08. I have been running this build for 1 1/2 years now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
was that on a 734 kit that did the 72hp?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
well when i said crank i guess i should have been more specific as to the rod. i generally just think of it as all one peice but yeah i was aware of the 660 rod problems i was just wondering if the 700's had the same problem.

willy- we had the pin on the counter balace break on a motor once. very lucky all it did was take out the rod.
You are lucky...........here is my engine...............

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I wasn't trying to be overly specific or anal retentive about it, but there was a reason to differentiate the two in my reply. Like with the 660's some 700 owners put a new aftermarket rod on the OEM crank and many shops use the OEM crank as the basis for their stroker cranks. I wanted to be clear to any onlookers as well that the OEM cranks were good, like on the 660, and that the rod itself was the weaker link of the two. Gladly the 700's rod is quite a bit stronger in practice than the 660's was so we don't see as many pictures of 700 carnage like we have of the 660.

·
Registered
615 Posts
was that on a 734 kit that did the 72hp?

No, sb/ss. The build that is in my signature. It does have a dynatek and +3 TB as well that I didn't put in the signature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts