Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I'm looking for some insight on rebuilding a 700 raptor. Most of the riding I do is in the dunes. I would like to gain about 10-15 extra horse. Planning on getting the heads ported and valve job. I want something that I won't have to mess with again. What do you guys recommend for piston, bore size, and crank? What else should I do while I'm in there?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What are your current mods?
Piston: Depends on if you want to use pump gas or not. Brand wise CP or JE
Bore size:105.5mm IMO...
Crank: 5mm
While in there adjust valves and check out everything for weird damage. Check out TQS' BBK's and BBS's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike is pretty much stock. FMF single exhaust and velocity intake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would like to stick with pump gas.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well I would suggest first getting a nice full exhaust (DMC Force 4's, Barkers, Monster Duals, DASA duals, Curtis Sparks, etc.) and I assume you have a fuel controller... After that you should then look into a 105.5mm bb kit with a 11:1 CP piston and if that's not enough then you can up to a 5mm crank but that involves cracking open the bottom of your engine which is more work lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna get into the bottom end anyway. I was told my piston was shot so I took off the head and cylinder today and found out the crank overheated at some point. Is the big bore cylinder worth it? It seems like the aftermarket cylinder is a little pricey. How would a 102mm JE do in the stock cylinder? Would there be that big of a difference?

·
Registered
366 Posts
How do you know the crank is bad? And whats wrong with your piston? Because if it is damaged your cylinder more than likely is too.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
No that's not what I said! I'm saying horsepower cost money and basically he needs a good full exhaust system first. Then if he doesn't want to go with a big bore then yeah up the compression and get a nice cam. But if your already getting into the bottom end... IDK

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm gonna get into the bottom end anyway. I was told my piston was shot so I took off the head and cylinder today and found out the crank overheated at some point. Is the big bore cylinder worth it? It seems like the aftermarket cylinder is a little pricey. How would a 102mm JE do in the stock cylinder? Would there be that big of a difference?
Why do you think the crank overheated? Is it because of the blue burnt look on the one side of the crank? I thought that about mine as well and panicked, but they all have it on them, even brand new. If its something else then I have my stock crank for sale dirt cheap if interested. It had 15hrs on it when I put in my stroker. I am asking $20 +shipping.
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82462

Check out my signature for my current build. It put down 62.5hp @ 5,000ft. elevation. Thats 18.5hp over stock.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The piston and cylinder actually look pretty good, still smooth in the cylinder and no pits or scratches. The crank has a lobe that has changed to a blueish color like it got way to hot. I agree with the exhaust, the old lady bought it for me without asking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Easystreet, after looking at your pictures, mine looks identical. So the crank isn't bad??

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your crank isn't bad. The bluing is normal. If you cylinder is good i would stay stock bore. Look at the build aaron posted. For a cheaper option use a Hotcam stage 3 instead of the x4 and hold off on the port work.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
heres what i have done just for another idea, its stock bore and stroke.

pc3
monster duals
velocity intake
dyna ignition
+3 tb
11.1 cp
x4 cam
p&p +1 valves

on english racings dyno it made 67hp and 52tq at sea level
67hp:mad: I knew that dyno raped me. Guess I will load up and head to English Racings dyno shop now.:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
67hp:mad: I knew that dyno raped me. Guess I will load up and head to English Racings dyno shop now.:D
Aarons build has a bigger cam and head than yours. Your build did good easy. And you got more torque with that stroker. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts