Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rebuilt my motor and raced AVE last week, had a great race and all seemed well. When I got home noticed Oil in my Radiator fluid...
Turns out that the double head gasket is known for this and you need to use a product called copper cote that will help to expand and seal the head gasket. Thought I would share with all you motor heads...But you probably already knew!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Are you yelling Brett? LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya My buddy Bill actually told me to go to High Desert Dyno if I cannot get this right...He loves those guys...Thanks for the second opinion!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Turns out that the double head gasket is known for this and you need to use a product called copper cote that will help to expand and seal the head gasket. Thought I would share with all you motor heads...But you probably already knew!
When you say "double head gasket", are you talking about using two (2) gaskets or is this the name for some special gasket?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say "double head gasket", are you talking about using two (2) gaskets or is this the name for some special gasket?
No its a two piece gasket and when you torq it to the right setting the sealent that it has on it is supposed to bond together and so you dont need to use other types of gasket sealent. I recommend that you do,
Im not the best motor head so was wondering if others had the same porblem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my gasket from high desert dyno. It is a SCE copper head gasket and he sent some sealant to put on as well. No problems yet.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How do apply the copper coat to the double gaskets? Curious because I run the Cometic gaskets that are like that on my 734.

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
No its a two piece gasket and when you torq it to the right setting the sealent that it has on it is supposed to bond together and so you dont need to use other types of gasket sealent. I recommend that you do,
Im not the best motor head so was wondering if others had the same porblem.
What gasket are you using that is a two layer?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is this a big bore? I thought the stock head gaskets are a single piece if I remember right? Its been a couple yrs since I last rebuilt mine.

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
What gasket are you using that is a two layer?
My guess is a Cometic Multi-layer steel

are you using head studs or bolts.....studs go along way also to assist in keeping the head gasket where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So ummm again, how do you apply the copper coat? I'm thinking about using it this time around and i would like to get it right if I do. Is it applied to just the parts of the gasket that come into contact with the surfaces of the head and cylinder or is it also applied in between the layers?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cleaned the surface of the the head and sleeve case. Applied the coppercote on both pieces waited for them to get tacky. Used a fair amount but not like gooped on just a nice even layer, then applied gasket on to sleeve with pins placed in sleeve instead of head where they always come out...so far so good. Racing saturday so let you know =-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and yea it was a mulit layer steel. I thought it was made by protec but may be cometic...I went with the OEM this time as my Piston is stock...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts