Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up ?so my 700 rappy is shutting off on me while im riding but turns right back on when i hit the starter button.it almost feels like its loseing fuel or spark.at when its wide open it sputters n if im crusing it just dies out.any idea what can cause this or were to start checking

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
whats up ?so my 700 rappy is shutting off on me while im riding but turns right back on when i hit the starter button.it almost feels like its loseing fuel or spark.at when its wide open it sputters n if im crusing it just dies out.any idea what can cause this or were to start checking

There is a rather large list of possibilities with this one....lol ! I would advise that you start by checking every wire and connector on your bike for a good connection....Make sure that all your power item.....like battery, coil, plug wire, etc have good contact and are soild connections. Check all grounds for good, solid contact....follow the wiring harness and check everything for good harness plug connections.

You might also look at testing your TPS for voltage tolerances....sometimes a weak or "going" bad TPS will create the symptoms you are describing.....Also, do you have an aftermarket fuel contoller installed ?....If so, check your map for integrity...reload it if you have a copy...and check that your TPS is calibrated properly for throttle position.

There are many things that could cause what you describe....but, you gotta start somewhere...lol. You may get lucky and it`s just a connection somewhere.......And maybe others will chime in to give you their ideas, too.....Good Luck !

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I always tell a customer to start with a spark plug! 700's do like to use up spark plugs. The top end is always the first to fail! Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I always tell a customer to start with a spark plug! 700's do like to use up spark plugs. The top end is always the first to fail! Just my .02

You are probably right there, Robert.....lol. I guess I just assumed that would have been the first thing he checked....and I was moving him further along.

I did have one bike that ran this way on a trip and for some reason it had lost it`s map in the PC III....I tore that thing apart looking for anything I could find and when I finally just reloaded the map on a whim, last resort....all was fine.

Also our buddy Raymonds bike was having some similar issues and it turned out to be a loose connection on the battery negative terminal...a little tightening up was all it took to solve the grounding issue.

Gotta start somewhere....haven`t even started on the potential fuel issues or spark issues.....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have had all of those except mapping. Loose connections, Dirt in my relay next to the starting coil. Dirt in connectors...I also just head of a wiring harness going bad with Bill Markels raptor....bummer

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Mine did this recently. Turns out the connector on the ECU came loose.

·
Registered
311 Posts
clean the kill switch on the left handle,the 20amp fuse in the starter relay,the big main relay that have like 12 wires"guessing" , those are the most common problem i have found on raptors about electrical contact issues.even you see its ok,scratch the pins on the main relay and use some dielectric grease on all the electric connections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts