Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 06 700 raptor this is my first raptor and was wondering what mods are the best for them for the money i already but itp wheels and holeshot tires on and hmf exhaust i was thinking about putting a programer on it but i dont want one i have to download programs on just a plug and play and a intake not sure on brands yet what other mods can be done that are worth the money thanks.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Check out the big3 packages at tqsatv.com Also you will need a programmer and the best one is the pc3 or pc5. There are lots of maps around for them so yeah it's basically just plug n play. The big 3's consist of an exaust, intake, programmer so since you already have a descent exaust then you'll just nee the other two. Then a dynatek ignition and dynatek coil make a nice difference. Then on to the engine with a CP or tech 11.1 or 11.5.1 compression piston so you can run pump fuel still. And a cam like the hdd5050 which is my favorite because it's designed for trails and sand. Or the web4 which is a sand drag cam primarily. But if you run one of those then you'll need stiffer valve springs and some clearancing work done by high desert dyno. There are others that do the clearancing also!!! Or you could go with a hotcam and you wont need the clearancing or springs but it's not nearly as good of a cam. Then get atleast a +3 throttle body and an FCI intake with some +2 exaust valves and a port n polish from High desert dyno or racers edge. Oh and by the time you get all this done you will need to get some duals like the barkers or dmc's to match the flow. Then you're lookin at 80+ horse and you'll need a +4 or better swingarm to keep her on the ground. And some elkas or fox floats with some wider a-arms. And maybe a cool graphics kit and a chromoly steering stem with some flex bars or protapers and maybe a trailtech vapor computer so you'll have a speedo n tach. Ummmmm.... I'm probably forgetting something. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i get a 11.1 piston and a pc3, coil, and intake and throttle body what kinda of horsepower would i be running with that set up? thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
What Carpenter said is all good advice but lets focus on this

i just bought a 06 700 raptor this is my first raptor and was wondering what mods are the best for them for the money i already but itp wheels and holeshot tires on and hmf exhaust i was thinking about putting a programer on it but i dont want one i have to download programs on just a plug and play and a intake not sure on brands yet what other mods can be done that are worth the money thanks.
Just go out and ride it a few times at lots of places and see what terrain you like the best and what you want your build to lean towards. After all it is a Raptor 700 and is pretty dang sporty the way it came from the factory. :)

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
What Carpenter said is all good advice but lets focus on this

Just go out and ride it a few times at lots of places and see what terrain you like the best and what you want your build to lean towards. After all it is a Raptor 700 and is pretty dang sporty the way it came from the factory. :)
As soon as you buy a programmer for it that is, other wise you'll be running lean. Have fun on it first it will tell you what to buy next, imo though some suspension is always first mod see if you can find some 07se-11 resi shocks being comfortable is always a big plus in my book

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
so if i get a 11.1 piston and a pc3, coil, and intake and throttle body what kinda of horsepower would i be running with that set up? thanks
If you went with the FCI intake and a plus3 TB then you would be right around 50 horse with that setup. The coil wont increase HP much but it does increase throttle response and fuel mileage. Do the piston when you do the cam! It's not difficult and you can do it yourself with the help of the guys on this forum and the use of your manual.
Your limitation is your exaust right now. It's a descent system but duals allow you to acheive much higher HP and TQ numbers. If you really want to stick with a single then the curtis sparks xx6 is the best there is and performs just as well as duals up until around 80 horse.
What is your budget like?
What are your expectations?
What are you using the quad for primarily?
You dont want to do things twice so lets get you the right setup the first time around and taylor make it to your riding style and needs. I was kid of building my own machine in the previous post and wasn't really building yours LOL Like Bear said just get out and ride her and then you can focus on the upgrades that your concerned with most. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the quad will be used mostly for trail riding and track im thinking of starting with a programmer becasue it is running lean right now and a bigger throttle body any suggestions on programmer thats a good bang for the buck thats not to complcated to tune

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was very happy with the stock raptor for trail riding. the power is enough for trail riding and keeping up with anything else. Whatever riding you do, suspension mods are worth the $ no matter where you ride it, Also if there are noise limits where you ride dont worry to much about the Best exaust because they are more than likely going to put you over the limit and get you a ticket$$$$$$. better tires are also good options, try some handle bars, you may find something thats feels better to you than stock. clamp-on style filter ( pro design, GYTR ) is a nice addition also.Raptor's are one quad you dont need to do much to for the average rider to be happy on.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
CP and tech pistons are the best and already have enlarged valve reliefs just in case you end up getting larger valves later on. 11.1 CP or 11.5.1 tech piston is the highest you can go without running race fuel. Also follow your manual when installing it and check in with the guys on the forum if you have questions because we have all done it before. Also if your going to do the piston then do the cam at the same time. HC2 or 3 is an easy one to do because there's no clearancing to do and you don't need to upgrade the valve springs. But it's not nearly as good as the hdd5050 or web4! You get what you pay for ;)

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
the quad will be used mostly for trail riding and track im thinking of starting with a programmer becasue it is running lean right now and a bigger throttle body any suggestions on programmer thats a good bang for the buck thats not to complcated to tune
If you buy a pc 3 or 5 from tqs and tell them what mods you have they will put the right map on it for you

I was very happy with the stock raptor for trail riding. the power is enough for trail riding and keeping up with anything else. Whatever riding you do, suspension mods are worth the $ no matter where you ride it, Also if there are noise limits where you ride dont worry to much about the Best exaust because they are more than likely going to put you over the limit and get you a ticket$$$$$$. better tires are also good options, try some handle bars, you may find something thats feels better to you than stock. clamp-on style filter ( pro design, GYTR ) is a nice addition also.Raptor's are one quad you dont need to do much to for the average rider to be happy on.
Im not sure why you are telling him that about the exhaust, you know they make these things called quiet cores for exhaust and they quiet down the exhaust for the places that have db issues. All the "best" exhausts have them:D

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
:rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts