Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the weight of oil for the raptor 700 and can i use any brand of oil as long as its the same weight

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can use any brand if it is the same weight. I recommend using Yamalube 4-R 10w-50.
The stock oil weight is 10w-30.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
The stock oil used from the factory was 10w-40 as I'm told by my dealer. I have used YamaLube 4-R 10w-50 ever since I bought it, more protection for hotter temps and it shifts alot smoother.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Where do you live? Weather plays a part in it. I use 20w-40 cause it doesnt get very cold here and gets EXTREMELY hot.

Manual says

10w30 is 10-100 degrees F
20w40 is 40-120 degrees F

·
Registered
779 Posts
Did you check the manual? It is pretty clear in there as to what type of oil to use and what viscosity for the temps you ride in. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from the Yamaha US website. As mentioned above, the bike comes with 10W-40. That is what I run in mine. You can't use ANY type of oil, it must be forumulated for bikes with wet clutches. That is critical.

MK

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic in every vehicle, quad, motorcle, etc. I own.. 15 bucks a gallon at wally world.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Same here. Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 in all my expensive engines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice to see someone else using the good stuff instead of saying "I've never used it, so I wouldn't try it.. stick with Yamilube..." :)

I can run that stuff for a year in my quads and it seems to always come out still honey colored. My Titan on the other had, 6k miles and time to change (at least for me). :) I haven't got to drain it from my Busa yet.. sort of exicited to find out what that will look like after a season's running.

The good thing is, I use the used stuff for my chainsaw bar. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts