Raptor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is simple. Why does the Raptor in stock form only slightly if at all out perform a 450. I am mainly talking in a drag race. Why are they so close in comparison in speed and horsepower? I get asked these questions all the time. My friends have 450s and a 525 and when I beat them in a drag they always say well its not by much and that I should kill them since I have such a bigger engine. Can anyone answer this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
the raptor stock is supposed to be a trail bike with alot of low end and such unlike the 450s and 525 are meant more for the track that needs the top end which is what the 450s have. ride a 450 through the woods and then hop back on ur raptor and you will see what i mean the raptor is way more comfortable in the woods than a 450

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Take a look at engine design (sohc) and compression (9.2:1) and compare those to the engines of the atvs you mentioned.

The 700R is in a lesser state of tune than those engines. Those engines are squeezed at the factory to get more out of them, that's why they don't respond as well to modifications and aren't capable of the same type of hp on a fully built machine that the 700R is. Your engine is a big, strong but lazy one. Theirs are high strung and bouncing off the walls. The energy output is similar, but because they're working harder to make that power yours should last longer too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Another big reason they are faster (at least in my ATV group) is the RMP's.
My raptor started to lose power at 6700 with some mods it's high now but before it was pretty sorry.
The 450's tach out at like 11 or 12 grand, somewhere in there. So thats like almost twince the RMP's.
It does seem kinda stupid to me that Yamaha dosen't do a little more to that 700 being how its capable of so much more.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mad Dog hit it on the head. If you were running Yamaha why would you change anything. Raptor is the best selling sport ATV, for most riders it has enough power and is comfortable to ride. What do you need to do to a stock Raptor, adjust the valves every 2 years? For people who want more, go buy some performance mods. Members on here are only a small percentage of riders and dont represent the average rider. On a normal weekend I have a hard time finding anybody at the dunes worth racing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the raptor stock is supposed to be a trail bike with alot of low end and such unlike the 450s and 525 are meant more for the track that needs the top end which is what the 450s have. ride a 450 through the woods and then hop back on ur raptor and you will see what i mean the raptor is way more comfortable in the woods than a 450
So are you trying to tell me that the Outlaw 525 IRS is meant for the track?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mad Dog hit it on the head. If you were running Yamaha why would you change anything. Raptor is the best selling sport ATV, for most riders it has enough power and is comfortable to ride. What do you need to do to a stock Raptor, adjust the valves every 2 years? For people who want more, go buy some performance mods. Members on here are only a small percentage of riders and dont represent the average rider. On a normal weekend I have a hard time finding anybody at the dunes worth racing.
I'll tell you what you need to do to a stock Raptor. You need to mod it to beat a stock Outlaw 525. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another big reason they are faster (at least in my ATV group) is the RMP's.
My raptor started to lose power at 6700 with some mods it's high now but before it was pretty sorry.
The 450's tach out at like 11 or 12 grand, somewhere in there. So thats like almost twince the RMP's.
It does seem kinda stupid to me that Yamaha dosen't do a little more to that 700 being how its capable of so much more.
What's RMP's?

·
Registered
38 Posts
A three mod Outlaw 525 pushes 47WHP. That's 47WHP for 510cc's. Do the math, that's 0.0922 WHP per cc. For a Raptor 700R engine to match that type of production from a 3 MOD, it would have to push 63WHP. So, technically, cc for cc, the Outlaw is a better quad!

The numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A three mod Outlaw 525 pushes 47WHP. That's 47WHP for 510cc's. Do the math, that's 0.0922 WHP per cc. For a Raptor 700R engine to match that type of production from a 3 MOD, it would have to push 63WHP. So, technically, cc for cc, the Outlaw is a better quad!

The numbers don't lie.
Who cares about engine size? CC for CC one of those 90cc quads is the best by your logic. Yamaha put together the 686 motor to have good hp, great tq, be comfortable to ride, and be very reliable. Name one quad that accomplishes this as well as a Raptor and then maybe you have a case to change the set up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What's RMP's?

Ok, RPM's is how fast the engine is turnning, it is usually read by a tachometer.
Sorry about my mis spelling, I guess that could get confusing.

I guess I should tell you that I have raced a 525 with my Raptor. The one guy had the big 3 and so did I.
We raced down a gravel road 3 times I won every time.
I also raced one at the ST. Anthony dunes up choke cherry he was piped, don't know about the other stuff. And I beat him twice. So the 525's don't impress me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the 700 is built for low maitenance and longevity. the 450's and 525 are high compression/more race built from the factory, they all have 11:1 compression or higher stock and require more maintenance. take a 700 and put a high comp piston, cam and a better flowing exhaust and then you can start comparing it. and once your in the sand where you want torque, its no comparison. rpm's shouldnt make much of a difference, thats fixed with shift points and gearing, most raptors should be short shifted to keep it in the torque, where a 450 you rev the piss out of it to keep it in the power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Num1Phat, we don't take kindly to trolls so I would advise you to watch your tone.
There was nothing wrong with my tone. I know BubbaRR, and was making it clear that the 525 he was talking about was an Outlaw with IRS, which isn't meant for the track.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ha I think its funny how he talks like the Outlaw 525 is king shit. Doesn't he know that Polaris doesn't get to use the same motors that KTM does? Freakin' Booger-eatin' highschool kids irritate the piss out of me.:lolflip:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Who cares about engine size? CC for CC one of those 90cc quads is the best by your logic. Yamaha put together the 686 motor to have good hp, great tq, be comfortable to ride, and be very reliable. Name one quad that accomplishes this as well as a Raptor and then maybe you have a case to change the set up.
Look up the WHP on a 90cc quad. The BHP of a 90cc quad is between 6 and 7. Just to mach what the Outlaw does, a 90cc quad would have to put 8.3 to the ground, not the crank. So, by my logic, you're still wrong.

By your logic, the Outlaw also has good hp, great tq, and is MORE comfortable to ride than the Raptor. What's your point? Reliability has more to do with how the rider treats the quad....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.