Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, was racing with my buddies this weekend out in the dunes. My rappy has the Sparks exhaust, proflow intake, no air box lid, 15 tooth front sproket and the power commander with fuel moto map. His LTR450 has the yoshi exhaust, k&n intake, power comander, hi compression piston and cams and not sure on gearing. He weighs in at around 170 pounds and I am at 260 pounds. Both of us are running 8 paddle haulers. He will pull about 1 to 2 quads lenghts on me from 0 to topped out in 5th gear.

Does this sound about right, or should I be a little closer?

Also, mine seems to go a little flat once I hit 5th gear. Pulls real hard in all other gears. Could this be the speed sensor slowing me in 5th?

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you guys think that I am doing pretty good considering the weight difference? I figured that would be a big part of it.

How can I disable the speed sensor without getting the check engine light? i think I might catch him on top end without the speed sensor. We were topping out right at 70mph on sand highway.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Look for the speed-sensor links.
Would have been interesting to have you 2 swap bikes and run to see how weight affected the outcome.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SULLY0556 said:
Would have been interesting to have you 2 swap bikes and run to see how weight affected the outcome.
Thought about that, but we were having too much fun to stop long enough to give it a try.

Was also racing two other buddies with LTR450's, one stock with just the intake and the other with exhasut, intake and power comander. I was smoking the stock one by about 6 quad lengths and just about even with the 3 mod zuk. All three of these guys are much lighter than me. I am the only fat ass in camp :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flynbyu said:
SULLY0556 said:
I would have gave it a go for sure. I don't think the speed sensor has anything to do with it unless you are hitting the rev limiter.

~Brian
Just not sure why it goes so flat when I hit 5th? It definitely losses pull when I shift into 5th gear.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I don't think with your mods and gearing that you would be albe to pull hard enough in 5th to have the speed sensor retard your timing in sand. That would not happend util around 78+ mph and you said you was going around 70mph. He has a high comp. piston in a bike that is already hight comp. than the Raptor. I think you are doing just fine, if you want to have a better chance do some engine work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pile0g00 said:
I don't think with your mods and gearing that you would be albe to pull hard enough in 5th to have the speed sensor retard your timing in sand. That would not happend util around 78+ mph and you said you was going around 70mph. He has a high comp. piston in a bike that is already hight comp. than the Raptor. I think you are doing just fine, if you want to have a better chance do some engine work.
Cool, that is what I was wondering. I might consider doing a piston and cams, but I think that would be the end of it. I want to find that happy medium between power and dependability... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Yeah, thats about right. The 700 barely outruns the LTRs to begin with and with your buddys being modded internally and yours not hes gonna pull by you even with the weight being the same. Get a 11:1 piston and then youll be able to hose him down with sand roost :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VelociRaptor said:
Yeah, thats about right. The 700 barely outruns the LTRs to begin with and with your buddys being modded internally and yours not hes gonna pull by you even with the weight being the same. Get a 11:1 piston and then youll be able to hose him down with sand roost :thumbsup:
you think the piston alone will do it, or should I consider the cams as well? what kinda price should I be looking at for the piston?

·
Registered
43 Posts
bambam-x said:
Okay, was racing with my buddies this weekend out in the dunes. My rappy has the Sparks exhaust, proflow intake, no air box lid, 15 tooth front sproket and the power commander with fuel moto map. His LTR450 has the yoshi exhaust, k&n intake, power comander, hi compression piston and cams and not sure on gearing. He weighs in at around 170 pounds and I am at 260 pounds. Both of us are running 8 paddle haulers. He will pull about 1 to 2 quads lenghts on me from 0 to topped out in 5th gear.

Also, mine seems to go a little flat once I hit 5th gear. Pulls real hard in all other gears. Could this be the speed sensor slowing me in 5th?

Thanks
Yeah with his mods and his lightweight the only thing you could do is probably unplug your top speed sensor, and then we will see who is beating who!!! :thumbsup:

G

·
To me when you say its "going flat in 5th" sounds like you are geared high. Try going back to stock 14t and it should feel as dead on topend.

If you are going to do the piston go ahead and put the cam in. And about the piston I got a 11:1 JE for like 150.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Another one of my friends bought a 07 LRT and pulled the airlid, spark arrestor and added the cherry bomb and he and I were bout dead even from 1-mid part of 3rd yesterday. We are the same weight (260lbs) and he is suppose to be a better rider (I don't doubt it)

But towards the top of third even If I was behind him I would catch him. If the area was a long enough run I would have passed him and probably had him by a few.

We were running a stock LTR, some 450R and a piped YFZ450 the only thing close was the 450R. I know he had full exhaust but I don't know what else.

The average results looked about like this after about 10-15 runs

Me .---------------------------------------
Germs LTR -------------------------------
Stock LTR--------------------
450R---------------------------------
YFZ 450--------------------------

I think If you are giving up that much weight you are doing well,......

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
bambam-x said:

Thanks
The suzuki LTR450s are fuel injected?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay, this all sounds great...now I have to decide which route to go.

Should I go 11:1 piston and a stage1 cam or the 11:1 piston with the stage 3 cam and valve springs? If I choose to go with the later, will I have to have anything else done to the head? Also, what kind of gains should I expect to see out of either of these?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts