Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i picked my 06 700 up in april. I've put a couple hours on it, and it's been running great. The last time i had it out, it stalled while idling. I started it up and it back fired, i got it started feathering the throttle. It kept cutting out and choking, i got it back in the garage, and it was fine. I went and rode it for about an hour. I started it last Friday after about a month of not riding. Fired up, idled about 4 minutes and shut off. I tried to start it two more times and it just backfired. I was headed out of town, and i didn't play with it anymore. What would cause this?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
the very first thing i would do is dump the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo....I started it, let it run about a mintue, and it start to choke out, and stall...........pulled plug......

I changed the oil and plug around june...theres maybe 15-20 hours on that machine....at most........I also checked the oil, and it was just shy of about .5 quart low...:confused:

I noticed it does smoke here and there......but not THAT MUCH....now what....rings?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
You need to tell us what mods you have or are you stock. Have you checked the air filter? I would check that the TPS is adjusted correctly. Are you using a fuel controller? If so then you need to get a better Fuel adjustment. You said you saw a little smoke what color is the smoke grey/white or black? Black = too much fuel, grey/white is oil burning. Any case the plug looks fouled.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a power commander on it, but I'm not familiar with it, nor have i messed with it. Now that i'm looking i do notice it smokes more then i realized, and it is white smoke.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try loading a zero map to the powercommander. If the quad still has the issue with the zero map. It is then time to take the Powercommander off the unit to see how it performs with it uninstalled. The zero map is used to diag to see if you have an issue with the map you have selected or if there may be a potential issue with the powercommander.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never did anything with that, so i'll have to look how to do it....do i need a special cord to connect to the powercommander....or is it just a USB? Looking at the maps, I know i have the yoshi full, k&n with no lid...but i don't know what that ratio means. When i bought it, i didn't realize what the powercommander did....honestly i don't think the previous owner did either. He just said it controlled fuel since it had the aftermarket exhaust...so i just assumed he might it was equivalent to jetting a carb

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've never did anything with that, so i'll have to look how to do it....do i need a special cord to connect to the powercommander....or is it just a USB? Looking at the maps, I know i have the yoshi full, k&n with no lid...but i don't know what that ratio means. When i bought it, i didn't realize what the powercommander did....honestly i don't think the previous owner did either. He just said it controlled fuel since it had the aftermarket exhaust...so i just assumed he might it was equivalent to jetting a carb

Yes the Power commander is a fuel management device. It is like re-jetting your carb. The cable is a standard USB to mini B cable. The software you can download from our website. If you like we do have a tech support line that we can help you further troubleshoot your issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just joined this forum, but have an 06 raptor as well. It could be vapor lock although usually you won't have the smoke at all, just stalling. After it sits, it fires right up just fine.

Pull off the plastic cover over the gas tank and check your fuel pump part number. If it ends in 01 it's bleed hole is too small and was noted on the yamaha service manual. The replacement pump is around 450.00, and ends in an 02 part number. The hole is .05 mm, needs to be .08 mm. If you have pretty good knowledge and are confident you can drill the bleed hole. It's just plastic. I picked up a .08 mm drill bit and drilled it out, with no problems since. Don't attempt it yourself, unless you have worked with fuel pumps before. Plus the pump is very expensive to replace. Just another thing to check and eliminate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll play with the power commander. I was think when i changed the plug after i bought it, the plug was tanish in color. I don't know what original owner ran as far as motor oil, but when i changed the oil, I switched to yamalube synthetic...would this cause it to smoke....residue of original motor oil, mixing with the synthetic? It ran great, and still does No power loss, or missing, it just fouled the plug since the oil has been changed. It's just a thought on my part

·
Registered
390 Posts
Unless you have a stuck ring or something else wrong with the piston changing oil to synthetic and mixing what little oil was in the motor from the oil change is not going to cause that. I would stick with the fuel controller issue first. Remember keep it simple.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts