Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went head on with a dirtbike and bent the front bumper i dont care about the bumper but where it mounts to 2 of the collapsed and the bottom mount welds broke how to fix??

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Got a welder?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a guy who has one but i gues i have to fabricate the tabs that go onto the frame yamaha said to bring it to them but that ganna be $$$$ the top tabs are just square which don't seem hard to fabricate but the bottom mount is wierd check it out and now the paint is chiping from those spots! 1ST day out with it!!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Looks to me like you could use angle on the bottom, you/he would just have to box the ends for strength. On the top... you can get 1" x 2" tubing, my Dad has lots of it so I know it's out there. couple cuts, grind the paint , weld and repaint. Otherwise I know the DG bumper on my Blaster is universal mount. You run bolts throught the taabs on the bumper and it clamps to the frame. Can't promise it would fit a Raptor but it's a possibility. If needed I can post pics of what I'm talking about, it would be couple days for that, but let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
07 gytr 700 said:
i have a guy who has one but i gues i have to fabricate the tabs that go onto the frame yamaha said to bring it to them but that ganna be $$$$ the top tabs are just square which don't seem hard to fabricate but the bottom mount is wierd check it out and now the paint is chiping from those spots! 1ST day out with it!!
Damn that sucks. good luck with it. So who got :eek:wned: in this head on contest? :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dude i know how you feel. I do alot of woods races and let me tell you those trees just don't move. Anyways, I built a custom front bumper so it would bolt into the stock mounts and when they bend i have to basicly rebuild them back on there with hammer, channels locks, punch, and welder for when the welds brake. Then i just shoot alittle primmer onto it (comes close to a paint match) and poof ready to go again. BUt i am not saying it is easy , i just have done it a few time to get it down pat. Here is a picture of the bumper i made for it. Notice in the picture the nice welding job on the a-arm, which was a temp. fix for a day.

My advise is find a fab. shop and have them fix it. DO NOT take it to the dealer.

Where are you located at?

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
07 gytr 700 said:
i went head on with a dirtbike and bent the front bumper i dont care about the bumper but where it mounts to 2 of the collapsed and the bottom mount welds broke how to fix??
I work at a fab shop. I will look at mine tonight to see if I cant help ya out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine has a crooked smile too...

it's almost evil looking, like my Raptor just ate someone's beloved pet

but seriously, anyone come up with something? I could use a fix too before the rust builds up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same thing happened to me this past weekend.I hit a tree hard and the mounts bent.I would think that yamaha made them weak so they would absorb an impact and not affect the main frame.So if your gonna modify the mounts , make sure they would bend again if you hit something.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Its the bumpers job to take an impact....not the mounts, The bumper will/should give way long before anything happens to the frame

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
This is what I did. :lol: Evil?... Ate the neighbors dog?.... I don't know anything!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
RaptorRacer45 said:
Its the bumpers job to take an impact....not the mounts, The bumper will/should give way long before anything happens to the frame
Exactly :thumbsup:

What they did is a good idea IN THEORY!!! But. I think they could have been made quite a bit stronger.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hey SandDragon, you've got to come park that thing in my front yard. I wanna see the reaction from my neighbor's dog. It doesn't shutup when mine is parked in front, and it only gets louder if I get anywhere near the starter button. I'm pretty sure yours will make it tuck tail and run! :lol:
and imagine if both were parked out there... :satan: :mad:

and Racer45, have you seen/used the handguard mount method? Sounds like a good idea, do tell more... thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yep thats how i fixed my mounts was with handguard mounts, they just clamp onto the frame and bolt right with the bumper, it makes the bumper stick out froward just a bit but looks and works like it needs 2, ill have 2 get some pics of mine today sometime

·
Registered
841 Posts
RaptorRacer45 said:
Yep thats how i fixed my mounts was with handguard mounts, they just clamp onto the frame and bolt right with the bumper, it makes the bumper stick out froward just a bit but looks and works like it needs 2, ill have 2 get some pics of mine today sometime
I did this also Ill get some pics when i get home today....works great and it doesnt still out to where someone would be like did you do this....looks rather good

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'd love to see some pics, Mine kissed a tree this weekend and bent the crap out of the mounts. :mad:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any more pictures of bumper mounts. I kissed a tree a little wile ago and i cant stand running around with no bumper anymore. I remembered seeing someone use those hand guard mounts before but that was a long time ago. I also remember that guy had to use a different bumper made for a YFZ 450 or something like that. Pictures would be a real help because the hand guard mount thing seems to be a great way to mount it. If i smack another tree i could just replace the mounts with a simple couple of bolts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts