Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rider locations / meets: the topic is : Oregon coastal dunes, who goes there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive been to Sand Lake so far and I want to go some other places but have no one to ride with!!! Anyone wanna ride???

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Florence rocks - and the KOA there has got to among the best in the United States.

·
GO BIG OR GO HOME
2,254 Posts
im from newberg/sherwood area. i usually go to sand lake ::) since its close but also florence :thumbsup:and hopefully alot of other places this summer. i usually go riding every weekend so hit me up. this weekend im going to florence at the odd fellows private camp site.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I’m from the Medford area. Woods rider all my life but my third trip to the dunes, which consisted of 9 days of riding, and I’m hooked. Been everywhere between North Bend to Florence ….I think Florence is my favorite spot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm up in Clackamas/Happy Valley. My club has folks riding almost every weekend, if not 2 days every weekend. The next month is fairly busy:

4/21: Riding in Capitol Forest (Olympia, WA)
4/28: Joker Poker Run @ China Hat (outside of Bend)
5/12: Millican Valley (outside of Bend)
Memorial Day weekend: Morrow County ORV Park (outside of Heppner)

We go to Florence/Winchester quite a bit (couple times/month in the Spring/Summer/Fall) I figure it takes almost 2 hours to get to Sand Lake, why not drive an extra hour for dunes that are bigger? And we do A LOT of trail riding too. Jones Creek (WA), Brown's Camp, Millican, China Hat, Kingsley, Upper Nestucca, Morrow County, McCubbins, Colton, etc... We try to mix it up a bit and hit different areas each time to keep things interesting.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hows millican valley, I've heard it's mostly rocks? Is that true? I've only been to china hat once and it was extremely dusty ( I was following my daughter), It must have been the wrong time of year to be there, the bee's were insane. If you didn't get your gear on quick enough then they would get inside your helmet. luckly they didn't sting you though.
I might go for a late afternoon/night ride Friday in florence. Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
rappyhappy said:
hows millican valley, I've heard it's mostly rocks? Is that true? I've only been to china hat once and it was extremely dusty ( I was following my daughter), It must have been the wrong time of year to be there, the bee's were insane. If you didn't get your gear on quick enough then they would get inside your helmet. luckly they didn't sting you though.
I might go for a late afternoon/night ride Friday in florence. Not sure yet though.
Well, there are 3 staging areas at Millican. There are some rocky areas out there, but for the most part the trails are smooth/wind blown dirt (dust in the dry months). You just have to put about 30 seconds between you and the rider in front of you and it isn't so bad. There are some areas out there where you can really open it up, and it's a blast. We like to stage out of the area which is on the left going out HWY 20 towards Prineville. It's got a little play area which is good for kids (and big kids). You can get a lot of riding done out there in a day's time.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
techquadshop said:
We ride oregon dunes all summer long. Favorite is winchester but you can find us at florence and spinreel too.

Same here, it would be cool to meet up sometime :thumbsup: You going to be at dunefest?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I live here in Coos Bay so Horsfall is a staple. I actually ride Florence as much as what is in my backyard. I reserve Winny Bay for DuneFest usually. I would be down for a big get together for those of us close enough to commute.

Craig,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it would be cool to match some faces to the forum. Mabey this late april or may sometime. I'm kinda broke right now. Hopefully I get a job soon. I was thinking about standing on a corner with a sign that says " Disabled rider. Need cash for gas "

·
Super Moderator NW Raptor Rally Coordinator
1,379 Posts
Love to ride all areas, I find it intresting no one has talked about Christomas vally, very cool place with lots of sand and some dust but it is a big riding area and not many people. If you have 3 or 4 days it is a great place to ride just a long drive from the PDX area. I have been wanting to go to china hat some time and would like information on where to park the trailer for camping. :thumbsup:

2006 Raptor 700
Blue
PCIII
lid off
GYTR filter
Monster quad EX
CP 12 to 1
Web stage III
P and P head
Troutdale, OR

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I am in Washington, bout 10 minutes from Capitol Forest....

I ride florence usually, and sand lake sometimes....

I will be in Horsfall at Coos may 28-june 1 and the june 1-june we will be in Driftwood at Florence. If anyone is in that area come say Hi. I will be on the white/red raptor with barkers, gf's got a pink z400 with ltes, buddies got a 720 black with HMF, and other has grey SE with Lte's, and some other yfz/ltr/etc... If catching up with us in the campground, look for the white mega cab dually with toy hauler, or black enclosed trailer in the next site will be where I am at, not sure on what truck though, trying to sell ours to get something else

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be camping in the mountains that weekend. be racing my buddies on some gravel roads.

·
Super Moderator NW Raptor Rally Coordinator
1,379 Posts
looking for the best place to camp in the Florence area, I normaly stay at winchester but would like to spend some time at florence but need a nice place to park the 30' toy huler trailer. Also looking for a good place to get race gas in the Gresham OR area? Any help would be great. If you ever see me stop by and say Hi :thumbsup:

FS2600 trailer blue graficks and bay windows
1998 Green Dodge Ram with running boards
yelow LTZ 250 with yosh pipe
Blue 2006 raptor
CP 12 to 1 piston
web cam stage III
GYTR filter
lid off
Monster quad Exaust
PC III

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
there's a driftwood camp out of siltcoos campground. IT's atv accessable and there are some pull through campspots and some that will hold a 30 footer(barely). the problem is you have to reserve sites. go to reserveusa.com or reserveamerica.com there is also a sandrail place on the side of 101 that you can get to the dunes from. i'm not excactly sure how to reach them though, mabey next time I go to florence I'll look. All else fails there is a few other campgrounds up and down the coast line that you would have to make day trips to the sand. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 41 Posts