Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my buddy finally got his yfz back together. He put a bb kit on it with full hmf exhaust, pro design intake, hc 2 and dynatek programable ignition and my 3 mod raptor ate him alive. He bragged the bike up so much lol. Even in drag races we did i was keeping up with him and passing while in a wheelie. Needless to say i was pretty dissappointed about his bike. Not to mention im a good 50 pounds heavier than him too

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Dose he know how to ride? I race my cousins trx450 and yfz450 and the trx has a cam and big and the yfz is pretty much stock. The trx is faster since its about a hundred lbs lighter and the yfz is a little bit slower than me and I have the big three. They have more experence with sport quads so that may have some difference with racing. I didn't like the yfz since it felt like you were sitting on a bench and it didn't have reverse.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i would LOVE to ride out west in the dunes, dont get me wrong, trail riding through the mountain of Maine/New Hampshire is great, but its difficult to take full advantage of the power of the Raptor before i have to slow the beast down

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He can ride decent but not the best. I may just be a better rider but i have two other friends one has a trx 450 and the other has a yfz and i can beat them too. Especially when it comes to trails.

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
As with all quads, Those aftermarket parts are only as good as the engine tune. I've seen plenty of "highly modded" 450's and Raptor's lose to 3 mod or less bikes becuase they spent the $$$ on the parts, but cheaped out on getting the bike tuned for it. IMO that BB YFZ should be a bike or so infront of your 3 mod rappy till ~ 300ft...then you'll run him down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dunno bout the YFZ, only ever seen one where I am. Bout a month ago bunch of buddy's went out riding, bunch of 450s, Honda's, Kawi, and a Suki thrown in there. Went to a field to race, and I've never drag raced a 4 wheeler before so this was new to me. But they all talk shit about how theirs is faster, and they all have mods to theirs. Raced 4 times, everytime I couldn't keep the front end down on launch, and they beat me the distance of me doing a wheely. Once the front came down, they stopped pulling away. At the time mine was stock. Now that I have the pipes on, now we'll see who is faster....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yesterday was the 1st time I ever drag raced, and I raced my buddy with a trx 450 with the honda power up kit with cam and K n. I have a 11.1 piston stage 2 hotcam, intake with K n, two brothers slip on, and juicebox on my 700. Now we only raced about 250 or 300 feet before we ran out of road. It was about even, but I still had 5th gear left. I guess I'm worried, I thought I'd be blowing him away with my mods. Maybe it's just cuz I'm new to quads and drag racing. What do you guys think? In that distance should I have already been in 5th? And would it help if I went to dual exhaust? Oh, I also have 22 in rears and 23 inch fronts for clearance.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Take him on for a longuer race and im sure you'll win!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
LOL i always like these stories of buddys talking smack about the rappy then getting their butts kicked LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hear ya. As soon as I got my rappie they started talkin smack. The one guy that had the suzuki went to the dunes with me last week, and he was so disappointed that he came home with a brand new polaris outlaw 525. I can't wait to get my other buddies down there so they can be disappointed as well.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Polaris 525? Hes going to be disapointed again LMAO...When will they learn? LOL

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Yeah for sure. He was out of power and I still had 5th. I guess I'll have to race him at St Anthonys. I pulled choke cherry in 3rd gear this year. He barely made it last year on his trx.
My cousin was the same way I still had 5th and his excuse was he had to let off other wise he would blow up his motor haha. They're only good for a short race then the rappy will just start pulling away.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
LOL i always like these stories of buddys talking smack about the rappy then getting their butts kicked LOL.
I guess they don't know the rappy is the king for a reason. Just like every one says there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My buddy has the new Yamaha YFZ 450r with BB kit to 480 and big three. I only have a big 3 2008 Raptor 700r. I work the hell out of that bike in a drag. He can beat me in a dirt track though. Each bike has its strong points. The Raptor is just killer in a straight and in the dunes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts