Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys what's the advantages and disadvantages of using the 450r shocks compaired to the new 700 with the reservoirs? It looks like the 450r is more of a dual rate but dose the 700 have more travel? I got the 450 shock thats like 16" long but now im looking to get the longer 17" ones to replace my pogos. I ride in rocky terrain so i need the ground clearance. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The a-arm geometry is not designed for 17" long shocks, I would not suggest using the YFZ450R stock shocks on your stock a-arms.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
The a-arm geometry is not designed for 17" long shocks, I would not suggest using the YFZ450R stock shocks on your stock a-arms.
+1 md is right, the yfz 450R is long travel and the raptor is standard travel so the yfz has more travel but you can't mount them up unless you have long travel a arms, and not sure if they mount directly to raptor lt a arms or not.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arn't the the shocks i have now 17 1/2" now? its for a 2007 raptor 700

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
No, your OEM shocks should be just shy of 16" eye to eye unloaded. Most quote around 15 and 3/4" (15.75").

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i just messured and they are 16 so i was wrong on the sizing. so the only thing that would work with the 700 a arms would be the 700 with the rezis?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Or the YFZ shocks from 2004-2009. The YFZR with long travel was made in 2009 and up, these are the longer shocks you do not want to use with the stock 700R a-arms. The YFZ shocks do have different valving and spring rates though.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike i have the older version 450 shocks the ones that are like 15 1/2" when i had them on there it lowered the quad. is there any thing else that could work besides a custom shock?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If your current shocks are simply worn out then you could replace them with a set of 07SE or 08+ rezzy shocks. But if you're looking to improve performance from the shocks you have then you're really only left with 2 options. Either purchase a used or new set of aftermarket shocks or have your YFZ shocks rebuilt and setup for your atv and riding style. Neither of the latter two options are particularly cheap, but they will improve the ride and handling of the atv.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks i gues i'll just stick with the 700s with the rezzy and kinda set them up my self. I'm just trail riding and jumping once in awile so they don't need to be professionally set up.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
700 resi work great rebuilt by wiingstyle unless your all out racing all 3 rebuilt for about 3/4 of front aftermarkets.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have 05 yfz shocks on my bike. for 100 bucks best mod i did.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rynb do you remeber how long those shocks are i have the ones that are like 15 1/2" long and it droped it like an inch and a half. I'm not sure what year they are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts