Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was playing in the mud at a poker run this past weekend and my raptor quit on me. It was running great all day, motor, suspension, everything was going great. There were a lot of bottle necks in the woods so we were making our own hill climbs to get around the rutted out muddy hill climbs, I was havin a blast. Then it started gettin late and the other two guys I was with, on dirtbikes, decided that it would be every man for himself until we get back to the trucks. I'm usually waiting on them so I let them go ahead so i can tighten my skid plate which was coming loose. I went a little further and came up on a bad section. The ruts were way to deep but I went for it anyway and bottomed out. There wasn't mud or anything, just deep ruts with big roots all through it. At these things there is a ton of rzr's and 4x4s that beat it up for the sport quads. Anyway I tried rocking it out and shut it off and put myself on top of the rut, then turned it back on tried to ride out again. I did this a couple times and one time I went to start it back up, it didn't do anything. I noticed my gas light was on when I tightened the skid plate, so I figured I was just out of gas. It wasn't backfiring though or sputtering so I'm not convinced this was the issue. A rzr pulled me up the hill and out of the way. Another guy came behind me with a gas can and gave me some to try to get it started, but it still didn't. Other than everything being caked with mud I couldn't figure out why it didn't start. I was being pulled by the guy who gave me gas but we couldnt make it up the hill climbs out of the trails so I had to hook up to another rzr and he pulled me the rest of the way, sometimes a quad had to pull him too to make it to the top of the hills. After at least an hour of being pulled through mud puddles and hill climbs we finally came up on the road. It was dark by this time and my two buddies ended up getting stuck in a creek right down from the road. The one dropped his dirt bike into the creek and had to flip it upside down and all that good stuff to get the water out. They left their bikes there because it was too dark and the event staff had to pull both of them back too.

I got home and power washed the piss out of it and then pulled it into the garage. I opened up the air box and there was about an inch of water in there. I pulled the plug on the bottom and it came pouring out, so my first thought is that I also had water in the motor. I'm not sure what is different really about getting water out a FI motor, but I pulled the air box off and the intake wasn't wet or dirty, the filter looked good inside too. I changed the oil, pulled the plug, started it up and nothing shot out, oil looked good - not milky. I'm guessing it has to be an electrical issue. I do have a kill switch hooked up, and that was my first guess, but the wires look good. There is a spark from the plug. I put a new plug in too. I'm getting all lights on the dash and I can hear it (fuel pump?) turn on before starting. I'm not hearing anything cracking or clinking, banging or ticking. It just won't start. Is there a step by step process for checking the electrical system, I don't really know where to start here. If someone else has something else to check other than electrical let me know too. Hopefully it's something easy, I'm supposed to go to rumble on the ridge in ohio this weekend, please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i would check both your kill switches again. do you hear your fuel pump priming?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I hear it kick on when I turn the key on. It could be the kill switch, everything looked good, I can take a closer look when I get home. I even pulled the kill switch out by hand to create that separation.

I didn't know they had codes on there, but the engine light isn't on when it's just sitting. It does light up when when I try to start it, but I'm pretty sure it has been doing that right off the lot.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Check the wire goes goes from the main fuse to the starter. Mine was loose last weekend and would mess with me.

Nothing at all happens when you press the start button? No tick, starter not turning, nothing?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no, I should've said that differently. It actually sounds like when I forget to put the clip into the kill switch. The battery is still strong, it's trying, it just won't turn over, couldn't catch it in gear or anything.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Your answer leaves me even more confused. When the stock kill switch is on, nothing happens when you press the button. Is something happening in your case? The normal sequence would be a tick in the starter relay and then starter turning the engine until it starts. What's missing?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I have everything ready to start, tether plugged in, key on, switch on, I press the start button, and yes there is a quick click, the starter begins turning, but that's it. I can hear it trying to turn over, the thumping sound, but it never does.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I see. Did you try jump starting it? Also inspect all your wires going from the battery to the starter, especially the positive.

Could be the engine that's seizing up for some reason too.. :(

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I tried to jump start it. I was being pulled by that rzr and tried to catch it, sometimes I was moving fast enough where i would hear the motor like it was running, but hitting the gas would just bog it down. I just don't understand how I was turning it off and on trying to get out of the rut and it was fine, then I go to start it up another time 2 seconds later and it's done. I hope it's just something easy electrical. I change my oil every ride even if it's only an hour or two. It always runs strong, first time it's seen this much mud. Another thing I need to do is drain the gas that guy gave me and put my own gas in, although it probably won't matter. The first thing I'm going to do is rip the tether kill switch out and try it without it. That is the only thing that changed from when it was running to when it wasn't. I had to pull it off to get around the quad and move it, then i plugged it back in and it wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went over a few things last night but got frustrated because now I'm hearing the buzzing sound every couple of times I hit the start button. I was reading up on it a little, but now I have to deal with that as well.

What is this white piece for in the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
For good measure clean the everything between the air box and motor. You could still have gunk inside the injector from the water/mud getting into the airbox. Also check your intake valve clearances. Tight = Hard to start!

I'm hearing the buzzing sound every couple of times I hit the start button.
That's normal when you try to start it over and over with no luck. The battery needs to be taken out to be fully charged.

www.kbmatv.com
270-774-1982

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I figured it was just from trying it so many times. It still sounds pretty healthy when I start it, probably need to charge it though. It is sucking in a good amount of air, and I didn't see any signs of debris or water in the intake, but I guess it's time to get my hand dirty and rip it apart.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started ripping everything out, everything was so dirty, I had 2 inches of mud stored under my gas tank in that heat guard. Take a look at this picture, is this about normal for an 07? I never cleaned it like this before. It's hard to clean in these places, and I thought I was gettin to it with the power washer.

I'm gunna finish washing everything off, drain my gas tank, put some fresh gas in, charge my battery, check the valves, and maybe get everything back together tonight or tomorrow. Then I'm gunna cross my fingers and hope for the best. Other than the valves and cleaning up the wiring, anything else I should do while everything is kind of easily accessible?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Looks like some crap got past the filter a bit... but I don't think it would explain your bike not starting.

·
Registered
749 Posts
damn, hope you get it all figured out before rumble on ridge! i haven't been there...want to go. my friend said trails are nice.

and i think my friend was at the same poker run you were at on his ktm 450. place must have been a muddy disaster juding from your quad and pics i saw of his

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope I can get it done too, might have to call off work tomorrow. I still think it's an electrical issue.

Those trails are destroyed, I've never seen it like that anywhere. It was bad, I saw a couple good wrecks. While I was waitin for my two buddies to get their dirtbikes towed out, I saw this kid on a raptor 250 with his bumper pushed into the frame, no handle bar grips, and he had mud tears drippin down his cheeks. What makes it even better is that a 4x4 with a tires popped off the rim pulled him out, which was being pulled by a rzr.

You should go to Rumble though, it's a pretty fun event. Only bad part about that place is after camping out drinkin all Friday night you get woken up by everyone firing their bikes up. Not good for a hangover. Oh and we only drink water there because no alcohol is allowed. The trails are nice though pretty wide open for the most part. It's been raining a little and it looks like the weather is going to be perfect, usually that place is super dusty.

I saw a guy with a KTM450 with his girlfriend on a yfz450, she went into a ditch pretty hard, jammed her shoulder almost got bucked off.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Is it a stock quad? Any mods? Powercommander? Ignition?

·
Registered
749 Posts
ahh def used to being woken up camping. powerline park really has no rules and the monster trucks ride around all night, so sleeping is useless. place is insane. but my friend has a RZR and that's exactly what he said about the trails being wide open at rumble on the ridge.

if you get it fixed and go, post up some pics! good luck!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts