1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
doesn't seem to bad other than its a 12.5-1 piston...you'll need race fuel i believe

·
Registered
386 Posts
+++1.
Also the vitos kit comes with a cam, springs and a jet kit.
vitos is still a better option.
i think you need a stage 3 to make it work properly and to get useable power from it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i did see that vitos came with that. Now, making it a 4mil stroker, would make it a great trail machine, right? because of the torque. I feel like if i put a stage 3 cam in (vitos kit) it would kinda ruin trail riding. Can you help me with this please?

·
Registered
622 Posts
If your wanting to make it trailable then you want the stage 2 cam not 3

·
Registered
386 Posts
stage 1 makes bottom end
the stage 2 is great for trails, but gives you more top end
stage 3 and x4 are suited more for strokers,
i thinks a stage 2 woud be better off paired with big bore alone (686)
this combo makes great hp and a great power curve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah thats what i was thinking. 11:1, 686 kit, cam (stage 2 for sure now) but that damn stock rod... thats why i wanted to pay a little more to make it a stroker rather then replace the stock rod with a stronger rod (stock length)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Its is possible for your stock rod to handle 686 with 11.1 and stage 2, and has been proven here plenty of times.
That being said if your the type of rider to hit your redline often or are in general "hard" on motors than its still a good idea to go with a different rod.
For me its more of a piece of mind thing, i would rather do it and ride how i want than take the chance of having a boat anchor, cause if it goes...it can be expencive to fix.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
If you're going to build, you need to replace the rod.
If you're replacing the rod, then might as well stroke it while you're there.

719 & stage II is good torquey motor, & 12.5:1 should be ok on pump gas.

I'm running 13.5:1 & X-4 Cam on av-gas.
Lots of grunt, everywhere!

·
Registered
386 Posts
+1^^^ build it right.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I ran a 11-1 with hot cam 2 for three years. It made lots of power but I really always regretted not doing the stroker. There are plenty of people on here with a 720 and midrange cams. For trails it is exactly what I would do BARKERS crank, hotcam 2, a good pipe. You would be able to run really tall gears to help keep the front end down and keep it in the power, even though the powerband will be very wide on a setup like that.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Barkers or Hot Rods cranks are good.
Both have their plusses & their drawbacks.
Buy which ever one you can get the best price on.

I got mine (Hot Rods) through Kenz.
He wasn't the cheapest, but he trued, ballanced, & welded the crank-pin for free (good idea if you run it real hard) & he has the 13.5:1 compression ratio pistons.
Put together a package with a name builder & you may "appear" to pay a little extra, but you get the little things that make the difference, & a bit of peace of mind knowing the components you are putting into your motor have been assembled properly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts