Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did a Trinity 734 kit on my raptor and a hot cams stage 2 cam. The shop that put the cam in forgot to put the decompression pin back into the cam so I solved that problem tonight and the quad still wont turn over on its own will. I installed a new battery and still nothing. Now since installing that pin back in the motor when jump started smoke pretty heavily. Can anyone help me with these issues? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yikes man I don't know. Did you put the pin back in correctly. It should start without that pin in anyway mine has before no problem. I would check valve clearance. What piston are you running. It sounds like something got jacked up. I did my 734 on my own and everything went back together piece of cake no problems. You might need to check and make sure all of your wires and connectors are good and hooked up properly. Good luck with that man.:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
So i did a Trinity 734 kit on my raptor and a hot cams stage 2 cam. The shop that put the cam in forgot to put the decompression pin back into the cam so I solved that problem tonight and the quad still wont turn over on its own will. I installed a new battery and still nothing. Now since installing that pin back in the motor when jump started smoke pretty heavily. Can anyone help me with these issues? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smoke is gone it was just a little oil on the top end from putting the rocker arm shafts back in once it burnt off its fine now. I still cant get it to start on its own though. I put the pin back in the cam with the groove facing out then the dowel in so it spins the pin up and down and the other end lines up with the groves and the outter piece of the cam. Still wont start without a jump but sounds great when its running though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah when i jumped it and got it running it was smoking but once it burnt the oil off it was fine. Smoke is gone now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i just spoke with my buddy who put the motor together for me and ordered all the pieces and I was just informed that the motor is basically a 770 it has a +5 stroker crank in it along with the 734 top end and stage 2 cam. Would that call for a stronger cranking battery? I tried my R1 battery on it and still it cranks faster but not fast enough still.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad i tried a quick test before what I did was brought the cylinder to top dead center and tried to start it and the piston still seemed bound up or wouldnt spin on its own. Does this answer the cylinder thing without actually ripping it all the way apart again?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you take out the spark plug and get the piston down to the lower portion of the cylinder and turn the engine with a ratchet and a socket. It should turn very easy back and forth.
If its easy to turn then the problem i talked to you about is probly ok. if not its that or the ring gaps should be checked.
Does it spin fast with the spark plug out?

Brad.
JVR

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Brad what I did notice before calling it a night last night is that when I went to take the R1 battery back off and put the stock battery back on the terminals were warm to the touch and I didn't try for that long to turn it over any ideas why that would happen?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try the other stuff you said this afternoon im off to work now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brad I stopped home fast and tried what you said and the motor spins free with the spark plug out I dont know if that rules out the cylinder problem?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats good if it spins fast with the plug out. Go over your wires and make sure your ground cable is on a case bolt. Maybe for some reason your starter is giving you problems.
If i think of anything else all let you know.

Brad.
Jvr

·
Registered
113 Posts
Warm cables can be from bad connections.
Bad starter.
Or the engine does not turn very easy.
If it was fine before the build id say theirs a mechanical problem. your build is very common.

Brad.
JVR

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok all connections are made properly. I pulled the starter out of the motor and it seems to spin freely no binding at all and it started the stock motor no issues before too. cranks perfectly with no plug in the cylinder. I am so confused man I dont know what to do with this thing. I am at my wits end here.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I bet your valves are out of adjustment...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think maybe its the stock coil does not make a strong glow enough to keep it running when its cold. I just added 3 mod monster package and on cold start 50% of the time after 2 - 3 second of running it will stall. and I look at my plug after a long ride and its super clear and has a nice brown cofee and I added dynatek ignition with coil and that problem completely stop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts