Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1985 yamaha moto 4 200 cc the voltage regulator was bad but it ran till the battery died I charged the battery which is only 2 years but if wont turn over I replaced the regulator and still wont turn over just getting a buzzing anx clicking noise from the solenoid relay dong know my next step

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd check voltage at the battery side of the solenoid, if that is good I'd jump the solenoid to see if it is the problem. I'd also check the battery terminal connections and the ground for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd check voltage at the battery side of the solenoid, if that is good I'd jump the solenoid to see if it is the problem. I'd also check the battery terminal connections
I just bought a 1985 yamaha moto 4 200 cc the voltage regulator was bad but it ran till the battery died I charged the battery which is only 2 years but if wont turn over I replaced the regulator and still wont turn over just getting a buzzing anx clicking noise from the solenoid relay dong know my next step
Where does the ground supposed to be conne Ted toland how do I
I'd check voltage at the battery side of the solenoid, if that is good I'd jump the solenoid to see if it is the problem. I'd also check the battery terminal connections and the ground for it.
How do I do that

·
Registered
276 Posts
You check the voltage at the solenoid with a volt meter and to jump the solenoid use a piece of steel, like a screw driver, to "jump" or connect the battery wire and the starter wire on the solenoid. That is what the solenoid does, you are just doing it manually. You can also use wire, I'd suggest using at least the same gauge as the battery wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You check the voltage at the solenoid with a volt meter and to jump the solenoid use a piece of steel, like a screw driver, to "jump" or connect the battery wire and the starter wire on the solenoid. That is what the solenoid does, you are just doing it manually. You can also use wire, I'd suggest using at least the same gauge as the battery wire.
I tried it and no sparks no nothing just the neutral lite turns off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried it and no sparks no nothing just the neutral lite turns off
I un taped the starter and battery wires they were wired pretty loose and sloppy and looks like they tried to sotter together so I'm going to re wire it all today and go from there and I bought a brand new battery so I will try that after

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I would take the start switch apart and clean it too. Just scratch the 2 surfaces with emory clothe, or even a knife blade.
I have seen quite a few machines over the years not start simply because the start switch contacts were not clean.
I have even seen several hit and miss starts, and the contacts looked clean, but after scuffing or scratching them, the random or no start problem was gone.
I had a 660 do just that a few months ago.
I'm not saying it's your problem, but it's a simple thing to eliminate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take the start switch apart and clean it too. Just scratch the 2 surfaces with emory clothe, or even a knife blade.
I have seen quite a few machines over the years not start simply because the start switch contacts were not clean.
I have even seen several hit and miss starts, and the contacts looked clean, but after scuffing or scratching them, the random or no start problem was gone.
I had a 660 do just that a few months ago.
I'm not saying it's your problem, but it's a simple thing to eliminate.
[/QUOTEit SAS thd battery wire at the terminal was curated now I have gas leaking onto the air box dont know what that means

1 - 18 of 18 Posts