Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, first of all, i know i shouldnt have let my friend ride my quad, but i was on my Raptor and there was a bunch of us going and he wanted to ride...

i told him it was low on oil, i gave him a quart to put in, and then i went to get my 660 out of the garage... i came back, and didnt see the container anywhere, and i asked him if he was ready to go, he said yep, good to go.. i got on the Raptor, he got on the 300 and off we went... we rode all day and it was prob about 2AM and we were on our way back home, snow coming down so fast i cant see my hand in front of my face, 30*, unplowed roads with prob 5'' of snow, and i looked back, and he wasnt there. me thinking he wrecked i haul azz, i back tracked and found him a little ways back.. he said it just stopped.. i attempted to hit the start button and it did nothing.. i assumed that since it was the original starter motor from 1989 that it was bad.. so i got the kick start out and tried with all my weight and might, and it did NOT budge.. so i asked if the oil temp light came on. he said he thought that "on" light.. i said "no, did you put in the oil??" he said "what oil?" well, lets just say he siezed it... i let it soak in trans fluid overnight, and put in fresh oil.. it smokes so bad, he basically blew it up...
my questions are:
should he pay for half, all, none,??
what all would need to be replaced?? piston, cam, cam bearings, crank, crank bearings, rings, piston walls are def scored and scratched so what do i do there... my grandfather bought it new off the showroom in 1989, he gave it to me in 2008, so i def wanna keep it and fix it.. it has NEVER needed anything except tires. literally nothing on this quad has been replaced except oil and tires... not saying it ws due, but had he put in oil, i prob wouldnt be posting here...

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Depends how good of a friend, his financial situation and how hot his sister is :lol: did you hand him the oil and say put this in that bike? Or say its low on oil and hand him the oil? He may not have know what you were talkin about. Its a tough call though man.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I think any real friend would offer to pay half, or just fix it. But also keep in mind it is your bike and you probably should've made sure it was ready to go for him. As far as what it needs, can't tell till you pull it apart. May be bottom or top end. Pull it apart and assess the damage and then try talking to your friend. Good luck man!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.. hes a decent friend.. he's an only child... he has a job. as far as the wording goes, i handed him the oil, and i cant remember if i said it needs it, or its low, but i remember when i came up on the raptor, i asked if he was good to go, i meant the oil situation, but he may not have interpreted it that way..
thanks for the advice guys, he did say, as soon as we figured out that it was indeed locked up solid, he'll fix it. then later kinda backed out, which led to this post.

now another thing, if he fixes it, i DONT want it just slapped together.. what are some good parts for those quads, assuming i need rings, piston, bore, cam, crank, and pretty much all bearings for the crank, timing chain, oil pump.. im not really in to hondas, but i know there are some good parts, and there are very poorly made parts...

again,
Thanks guys,
Hunter

·
Registered
866 Posts
I should think that he should pay for it to be fixed, I think it's pretty clear that you wanted him to put oil in it, why else would you hand him a quart of oil? If you ride other peoples machines you should be prepared to repair any damage you do to it, not just leave them there with a useless quad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts