Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off let me say i know nothing about 4 wheelers..i just picked up a 97 warrior 350(for $500) and when i drive it at lower rpms it goes great but once it goes higher rpms it cuts out.(like a rev limitter in a car).he said it was just because the choke was on..he also said the carb was cleaned and has a new spark plug and oil change. i dont know where to begin..any help will be geat. o and he said its bored 30 over and has a dg exhaust..

·
Registered
349 Posts
My 2003 warriors have a praking brake rev limiter on them, that might be your problem, wiggle the plug and clean it on the parking brake.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Either the Clutch switch,or the parking brake switch could be bad.

Follow the 2 sets of wires coming from the clutch perch under the hood.If you unhook them,one will connect together,do it...that bypasses the PB limiter.Just leave the other one unhooked,that is the clutch safety switch..but be careful,as the bike will now start without the clutch pulled in.

VERY common quick mod for these warriors to bypass these very troublesome switches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either the Clutch switch,or the parking brake switch could be bad.

Follow the 2 sets of wires coming from the clutch perch under the hood.If you unhook them,one will connect together,do it...that bypasses the PB limiter.Just leave the other one unhooked,that is the clutch safety switch..but be careful,as the bike will now start without the clutch pulled in.

VERY common quick mod for these warriors to bypass these very troublesome switches.
the parking brake was stuck but on my 97 there is no sensor back there..cleaned the carb and put stock muffler on and it ran much better(not great) then shut it off to work on it again another day..went out yesterday and now i have no spark..wtf..i have had this thing for like 3 weeks and road it 1 time..and thats when it was cutting out like crazy..

o and really dumb question..where is the hood? in front of the gas tank in the front under the headlight?

·
Registered
675 Posts
first off let me say i know nothing about 4 wheelers..i just picked up a 97 warrior 350(for $500) and when i drive it at lower rpms it goes great but once it goes higher rpms it cuts out.(like a rev limitter in a car).he said it was just because the choke was on..he also said the carb was cleaned and has a new spark plug and oil change. i dont know where to begin..any help will be geat. o and he said its bored 30 over and has a dg exhaust..
This problem is common on the warriors.I still have a 1995 that i bought brand new.It also had the same problem and have personally seen it on 3 others.It is an easy fix.It is your reverse rev limiter kickin in because it has a bad ground.I know it sounds wierd because it's happening in forward gears,but,that is the problem.Go to the reverse lever and take the allen head bolts out that mount it to the frame.One of them will have a ground wire going to it.Now that the bolts are out,take some sand paper and sand the frame where the bolts go and sand the ground wire to get a good ground.Now put it all back together.That will take care of your cutting out problem.As far as your problem now with no spark,i would go back through everything that you tried to change and put it back to how it was before.That cutting out problem gets agravating when you cant figure it out(i know from experience)and you start changing things that didnt need to be changed.Also make sure your battery is fully charged.Sometimes it will have enough to crank it but not enough to fire it.Hope this helps you.Scott

·
Registered
212 Posts
the parking brake was stuck but on my 97 there is no sensor back there..cleaned the carb and put stock muffler on and it ran much better(not great) then shut it off to work on it again another day..went out yesterday and now i have no spark..wtf..i have had this thing for like 3 weeks and road it 1 time..and thats when it was cutting out like crazy..

o and really dumb question..where is the hood? in front of the gas tank in the front under the headlight?
The sensor for the parking brake is under the hood,and yes,the hood is the front nose,2 screws on top by handlebars,and two bolts just under the front of the nose,and remove headlight housing first....Follow the wires coming from the clutch on the bars,to where they connect under the front nose.

As for no spark,that wouldn't be caused by the PB connecions,and lies somewere else....I would start by downloading the manual in the sticky section,and test the stator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This problem is common on the warriors.I still have a 1995 that i bought brand new.It also had the same problem and have personally seen it on 3 others.It is an easy fix.It is your reverse rev limiter kickin in because it has a bad ground.I know it sounds wierd because it's happening in forward gears,but,that is the problem.Go to the reverse lever and take the allen head bolts out that mount it to the frame.One of them will have a ground wire going to it.Now that the bolts are out,take some sand paper and sand the frame where the bolts go and sand the ground wire to get a good ground.Now put it all back together.That will take care of your cutting out problem.As far as your problem now with no spark,i would go back through everything that you tried to change and put it back to how it was before.That cutting out problem gets agravating when you cant figure it out(i know from experience)and you start changing things that didnt need to be changed.Also make sure your battery is fully charged.Sometimes it will have enough to crank it but not enough to fire it.Hope this helps you.Scott
The sensor for the parking brake is under the hood,and yes,the hood is the front nose,2 screws on top by handlebars,and two bolts just under the front of the nose,and remove headlight housing first....Follow the wires coming from the clutch on the bars,to where they connect under the front nose.

As for no spark,that wouldn't be caused by the PB connecions,and lies somewere else....I would start by downloading the manual in the sticky section,and test the stator.
thank you both for the imput..i will address both of these..and for the no spark issue.. im not sure if its the problem but on the starter solenoid i has a fuse and it was blown..and i replaced it with a smaller 1.. i think that might be the problem..(i have to jump the solenoid to start the bike..i need to buy a new 1)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know if my 97 warrior has a way to tighten the timming chain? i thought it was the valves ticking but i was just told by a shop that its prolly a loose timming chain..any info would help..thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could be the ignition coil, I once had to replace this on both warriors of mine, this could be the no spark cause.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts