Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have an 18 700r se and I have a few known things I want to do, which requires supporting mods, which means I have more than just those few "wants" I need to get. Such is life when shuffling weakpoints ha.

My goals for the machine are very simple, as this will be a nearly 100% trail machine: more power (low-end), more snap (throttle response), plateau/power under the curve (not chasing peak dyno numbers at top of the band). I am more than willing to sacrifice top-end power to move/keep that curve down low.

I know it seems pretty copy/paste at this point as to which brands/items to get for the Big 3, but I've actually had some interesting responses from vendors too (any time a vendor suggests a cheaper option than what I say I'm interested in, I consider it "interesting").

My parts list, so far:
* Protection
- Nerf bars - OWN (GYTR Part#1AS-F11E0-T0-00 - Note: I would not buy these again. The fitment at the front where the 2 sides connect via clamp is utterly horrendous)
- Case Saver - OWN (UPP Part#1031)
- Lower Chain Roller - OWN (UPP Part#1056)
- Poly skid; belly pan - OWN (DRW - thanks @Cammy)
- Poly skid; swing arm

* Power
- Exhaust; Monster full (a slip-on was recommended, curiously)
- Intake; Pro-design/K&N (Monster was recommended)
-- Will need to run at least 3 sides of a box, but would like option of drycharger filter for lid if that's a thing (it is on my 400) if I'm not swamping it
- Ignition; PC5 w/ timing (not looking for big numbers, but pulling/adding timing is, IMO, needed for moving that curve)
- Throttle Body; not sure if port/polish or + size on this one. I do know the TB is such a huge difference maker in cars it's on my "must do" list for pretty much everything when modding.

*Misc
- AIS blockoff - OWN (CR)
- CR8EK spark plug - OWN (CR)
- In-line temp gauge - OWN (CR)
- HB riser/anti-vibe/new bars - OWN (Alba Racing+1/Alba Racing antivibe/ProTaper SE ATV Midbend (Mfg#2109D))
- Steering Stabilizer
- Digital Display; probably Trail Tech Vapor model whatever...
---actually would like to go with KOSO RX2N (or rs2n; some discrepancies in model info)
- New rear tires; something taller/beefier than the stockers...still looking
--XC Masters
--GBC X-REX

After a month of research...that's as far as I made it lol

Any thoughts on the above?

Also, seeing as how most of the vendors died out in the great meteorite impact of 2008, are there any suggested vendors for the above anymore? I reached out to Cuervo Racing but idk if he/they just do builds or if they sell hardparts above rebuilt pieces (like the TB). I see TQS has great prices, but a seemingly horrendous reputation. If you don't want to put someone on blast, PM me if you can.

-Racers Edge
-Cuervo Racing

Any expertise you could share would be greatly appreciated!
EDIT: Going to keep this list updated with suggestions from you

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Seems like youve done your homework. I have the trail tech vapor and i used to really like it... until i saw that damn KOSO RS2. Now if i was gonna buy one id get it instead

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Think you are on the right track. Full exhaust no questions... I prefer FCI intake as I have had Monster, Trinity, Pro-flow intakes. +3 TB, and look at a shelf cam like a Hot Cam 3, PCV. Cuervo or Racers Edge would be my choice of vendors as they both sell everything.
I would look at shock re-valving by Kevin (Jogaca). Night and day difference in handling from stock. You can find him on Facebook or I can give you his number if interested.
IMO I would go with GBC XC Masters... great price and are durable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think you are on the right track. Full exhaust no questions... I prefer FCI intake as I have had Monster, Trinity, Pro-flow intakes. +3 TB, and look at a shelf cam like a Hot Cam 3, PCV. Cuervo or Racers Edge would be my choice of vendors as they both sell everything.
I would look at shock re-valving by Kevin (Jogaca). Night and day difference in handling from stock. You can find him on Facebook or I can give you his number if interested.
thanks for the info!

I was thinking the XC Masters if I stuck with knobbies (which I probably will), but I'm still pretty early in the tire research. I had some STI Tech 4's on my 400 which seemed to hold up pretty well, but I felt like getting the traction dialed in was kind of a PITA for an all-around tire.

Did you run your FCI with or without the box? As I said, I'm going to need to keep it housed, as the vast majority of my trail runs get wet/muddy. At that point, the cost of FCI housed vs a pro-flow may not be worth the gains...especially when focusing on low-end? Just guessing here.

Regarding shock rebuild and cams...I'll likely do a rebuild when the time comes for the shocks, and I'm not opening the pandora's box that is internals for as long as I can help it!

Appreciate the info

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
That FCI will really only be noticeable on the top end, which you are not after. Go with the Pro Design model in your case.

I run the GBC X-REX on both of our Raptors, won't go any other route for their affordable price.

If you get the Trail Tech Vapor it has an inline digital temp guage, so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone there.

I would suggest a Precision or Fastway Steering stabilizer for trails. Look in the For Sale section in here, hippy has one for sale. They make a world of difference on the trails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That FCI will really only be noticeable on the top end, which you are not after. Go with the Pro Design model in your case.

I run the GBC X-REX on both of our Raptors, won't go any other route for their affordable price.

If you get the Trail Tech Vapor it has an inline digital temp guage, so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone there.

I would suggest a Precision or Fastway Steering stabilizer for trails. Look in the For Sale section in here, hippy has one for sale. They make a world of difference on the trails.
thank you

After looking into the above suggested koso rs2n (or rx2n...whichever it actually is) I'm definitely getting that. it looks awesome and I'm often-times attracted to shiny things. :) I'll look into the tempgauge situation on that...

I'll put the GBC X-REX's on the shortlist.

You aren't the first suggesting a stabilizer. My buddy rides with a group from KY that swear by them (they ride MUCH harder than anyone else in my group, so I value their opinion, even if they are Honda fanboys lol). I'll put it on the list.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Don't chince out on that stabilizer. Buy once, cry once (even though at times I go the other route, lol). Learn from my mistakes...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
thank you

After looking into the above suggested koso rs2n (or rx2n...whichever it actually is) I'm definitely getting that. it looks awesome and I'm often-times attracted to shiny things. :) I'll look into the tempgauge situation on that...

I'll put the GBC X-REX's on the shortlist.

You aren't the first suggesting a stabilizer. My buddy rides with a group from KY that swear by them (they ride MUCH harder than anyone else in my group, so I value their opinion, even if they are Honda fanboys lol). I'll put it on the list.

Thanks again
i love my precision stabilizer its great for the trails/ruts and anything that would typically tear the bar out of your hands or send you sailing. i would definitely suggest getting one. as Morph said Hippy is selling one.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Steve at TQS is a great guy, just works a full time job plus does all the parts stuff. So sometimes he takes a day or two extra.

One that I use quite often is Kenneth at kbmotorsports.com

Both are great and have awesome prices.

If you do anything suspension (shocks, a arms, stabilizer, etc.) call Kenneth, he is a encyclopedia for that stuff.

Motor parts like cams, pistons, head studs call Steve at TQS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
thanks for the info!

I was thinking the XC Masters if I stuck with knobbies (which I probably will), but I'm still pretty early in the tire research. I had some STI Tech 4's on my 400 which seemed to hold up pretty well, but I felt like getting the traction dialed in was kind of a PITA for an all-around tire.

Did you run your FCI with or without the box? As I said, I'm going to need to keep it housed, as the vast majority of my trail runs get wet/muddy. At that point, the cost of FCI housed vs a pro-flow may not be worth the gains...especially when focusing on low-end? Just guessing here.

Regarding shock rebuild and cams...I'll likely do a rebuild when the time comes for the shocks, and I'm not opening the pandora's box that is internals for as long as I can help it!

Appreciate the info
I bought 2 FCI with box but removed the box because of my riding conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Morphrider, since you suggested the FCI would only really be noticeable on the top end, and to consider the Pro Design since he is more interested in lower end torque, I wondered whether there would be any reason for me to switch to the Pro Design from my GYTR intake with a k&n style filter? I'm assuming this is a stock setup for the 2007 Raptor GYTR i picked up recently, and I would be trail riding mostly as well but also want more torque due to ordering bigger tires for clearance. I'm trying to look at my options for the Big 3 and wondering whether I would notice as big of a difference from standard intake, exhaust, as the GYTR parts?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,471 Posts
If you're interested, I have a Pro Design as well as FCI (no box) air filter assemblies for sale. I can send pics to your phone or email. Both are complete air cleaner, hose to TB and clamps. Might even have Outer Wears. The FCI will still work on the bottom end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're interested, I have a Pro Design as well as FCI (no box) air filter assemblies for sale. I can send pics to your phone or email. Both are complete air cleaner, hose to TB and clamps. Might even have Outer Wears. The FCI will still work on the bottom end.
I'll PM you. thanks

·
10,471 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*inserts shovel

update on the ol' Raptor. I've completed the Big 3 (Monster full, Pro-Design no-lid, PC5) and a +3 TB from Cuervo Racing. Just got back from the dyno and made 58.4hp and 69tq. nice near peak hp plateau from around 5400 to 6800 but it's 50+hp from 4100 to 8400 so I'm good with that. Looks like I should be shifting around 7600-7700. I was honestly expecting 2-3hp more, but it's a pretty conservative all-weather tune (I'm told, haven't ridden/looked at tables) and the gas wasn't the freshest. I was going to siphon and put in some fresh 93 before the dyno but it got real cold and I didn't want to go outside.

I've slowly been adding bits here and there, and I still have a few things I'd like to add.

Hand guards (so.many.to.chose.from)
Front bumper (the GYTR for the SE looks cool...but isn't going to help much when I eventually plow into a tree)
Rear grab bar (the GYTR rear grab was not very durable)
off-road lights for night/woods rides.
Still looking into display/speedo options. Trail Tech is the obvious choice but something like the koso rx2n would be super sweet...but these are pretty low priority.
Tempted to go 22's in the rear for trail boggin...

Other than that, it's pretty well buttoned up. Any suggestions for what's left on my list are welcome. happy holidays!

·
10,471 Posts
*inserts shovel

update on the ol' Raptor. I've completed the Big 3 (Monster full, Pro-Design no-lid, PC5) and a +3 TB from Cuervo Racing. Just got back from the dyno and made 58.4hp and 69tq. nice near peak hp plateau from around 5400 to 6800 but it's 50+hp from 4100 to 8400 so I'm good with that. Looks like I should be shifting around 7600-7700. I was honestly expecting 2-3hp more, but it's a pretty conservative all-weather tune (I'm told, haven't ridden/looked at tables) and the gas wasn't the freshest. I was going to siphon and put in some fresh 93 before the dyno but it got real cold and I didn't want to go outside.

I've slowly been adding bits here and there, and I still have a few things I'd like to add.

Hand guards (so.many.to.chose.from)
Front bumper (the GYTR for the SE looks cool...but isn't going to help much when I eventually plow into a tree)
Rear grab bar (the GYTR rear grab was not very durable)
off-road lights for night/woods rides.
Still looking into display/speedo options. Trail Tech is the obvious choice but something like the koso rx2n would be super sweet...but these are pretty low priority.
Tempted to go 22's in the rear for trail boggin...

Other than that, it's pretty well buttoned up. Any suggestions for what's left on my list are welcome. happy holidays!
Yeah, the HP could be more, but maybe with better gas, but the torque is awesome. Torque is what does the work.
If you go bigger tires you might need 1 tooth smaller in front or 2-3 teeth bigger in the rear.
Also bigger rear tires might need 22 or 23in tires in the front.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
How the heck did it have that much torque from just a big 3? Mine modded is 49 and the wife's Big 3 is around the same as well.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
How the heck did it have that much torque from just a big 3? Mine modded is 49 and the wife's Big 3 is around the same as well.
I was wondering the same thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Totally possible that it's just something f'd up. I'm not familiar with atv dynos so I just assumed a lot when seeing this...but it was suspect. either way, it seemed kinda reasonable given stock hp is around 47 (per the internet). I have no idea what stock tq is.

My computer is taking a real long time getting the pic i took of the dyno graph to attach, but I will say my graph starts at 3500. I'll upload the pic when it gets thru. or I'll just do this from the phone.

Side note: Man i hope this doesn't turn into me getting f'd over with some rando on a dyno; I mean now, in retrospect, nearly 80tq seems silly

1 - 20 of 22 Posts