Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest Way to knock the Bushings out of your A-arms?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most of mine came out pretty easy, but the 1 or 2 that were stuck in there I used a 3/8" Extention and a hammer to tap them out.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you take the arms right off? id prefer to keep them Attached but maybe i am being stubbor... and so far all of mine have been Stuck... its an 01 and i dont think they have ever been changed that'll make'r a little more difficult eh?

·
Registered
441 Posts
INSTALLING YOUR A-ARM BUSHINGS
First things first: take all the weight off the front end by putting it on a stand or 5 gallon bucket.

Remove the top bolt from the shock. Slowly move the shock back and forth to help slide the bolt out if necessary. Then take out the top and bottom bolts below.

Once you've got the shock off, you can loosen the bolt that holds the top a-arm. If it doesn't come off easily, you may need to use a rubber hammer to LIGHTLY tap the bolt out.

After removing the bolt the a-arm should pull out enough that you can see the dust caps.
NOTE THAT IT'S STILL HELD INTO PLACE BY THE BALL JOINT!

Now slide the dust caps off of both sides of the a-arm. They should come off easily. Next you need to pull out the small sleeve inside the a-arm. Push on it a little with your finger, then you should be able to easily pull it the rest of the way out.

Tap the old bushings out - a wooden dowel or screwdriver works best. They should pop right out, but are sometimes stubborn.

Now that both of the old bushings out, you can remove some of that old grease.

Put a little bit of grease on the new bushings to help them slide into place.Push them in part way by hand, then tap them into place with a rubber hammer. MAKE SURE THEY'RE TO OPUT THEM ALL THE WAY IN.

Next slide the sleeve back into place, tap it lightly with a hammer if necessary. Now put the dust caps back on, they should slide on easily. BUT MAKE SURE THEY'RE ALL THE WAY ON.

Line the A-Arm back up with the holes in the frame and slide the bolt into place. Put on your washer, then the bolt, now tighten it down.

NOW LET'S MOVE ON TO THE BOTTEM BUSHINGS:

First remove the bottom bolts that hold the a-arms on. Remove the nuts & washers from both sides. You might have to rock the a-arm up and down a bit to free up the bolts. If this doesn't work try lightly tapping them out with a hammer, but MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DENT THE BOLT THREADS.

Once the bolts have been removed, pull the a-arms out from the mounting points. Then you can remove the dust caps. Next slide out the sleeve inside the bushings.Now tap out the old worn bushings.

Now that you've got all four of the old bushings out from the bottom a-arm, you can tap in the new ones. Put a little grease on to help them go in more easily.

Slide the sleeve inside the new bushings. Then put the dust caps back on & move the a-arm back into place. Slide the bolts back in, and tighten up all the bolts. Regrease all the spots where there's a grease nipple. Reinstall the shock, and down tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Man :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts