Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought this 04 raptor 660 eith aftermarket pipe and maybe a one over bore, a while back rode it once, ran fine. been in the shed since then now I've decided I'd rather get a 4x4 one so figured I'd put it up for sale. Get a few calls a guy shows up. I put fresh gas in it after draining the bowls. I't's really hard to start. Finally it catches popps alittle and will not stay running without throttle. No biggy he test drives it down and around the neighbor hood, once twice, three times then again. I'm starting to get annoyed at this point as this is my lunch break and don't have all day. Next thing I know I dont hear it anymore. So I jump in truck ride down the rode sure enough he's trying to rock it. (I'm guessing he could find Neutral"), as he actually said Ït just died on me and no it seems to have lost power and wont start" I check seems one of the relay fuses died. Get it home replace fuse but now no Neutral light or head lights. Good battery, If I jump across relay lugs starter turns. If I jump yellow wire to red wire I can use the switches to do everything. I got it to fire once more after he left(which was right after I got it home), but died shortly after. Since then I couldn't get it to start. I pulled plug, with the yellow wire shorted I have spark. after sparying some fogging oil down jug I got it to fire once then alot of black smoke and a popp. So I check compression... 45?! Really? I'm not 100% percent the compression gauge fit in right or hoping I imagine. So I guess my question is do you guys think I need rings or maybe a valve is stuck? I read somethin about a de-comp but I'm not sure how to activate or deactive it if you even can. I did try looking through the stickies, but I kinda have two problems I have to jump the yellow wire to use switches or lights, and possibly no compression, how can I test the oil pressure? Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I bought this 04 raptor 660 eith aftermarket pipe and maybe a one over bore, a while back rode it once, ran fine. been in the shed since then now I've decided I'd rather get a 4x4 one so figured I'd put it up for sale. Get a few calls a guy shows up. I put fresh gas in it after draining the bowls. I't's really hard to start. Finally it catches popps alittle and will not stay running without throttle. No biggy he test drives it down and around the neighbor hood, once twice, three times then again. I'm starting to get annoyed at this point as this is my lunch break and don't have all day. Next thing I know I dont hear it anymore. So I jump in truck ride down the rode sure enough he's trying to rock it. (I'm guessing he could find Neutral"), as he actually said Ït just died on me and no it seems to have lost power and wont start" I check seems one of the relay fuses died. Get it home replace fuse but now no Neutral light or head lights. Good battery, If I jump across relay lugs starter turns. If I jump yellow wire to red wire I can use the switches to do everything. I got it to fire once more after he left(which was right after I got it home), but died shortly after. Since then I couldn't get it to start. I pulled plug, with the yellow wire shorted I have spark. after sparying some fogging oil down jug I got it to fire once then alot of black smoke and a popp. So I check compression... 45?! Really? I'm not 100% percent the compression gauge fit in right or hoping I imagine. So I guess my question is do you guys think I need rings or maybe a valve is stuck? I read somethin about a de-comp but I'm not sure how to activate or deactive it if you even can. I did try looking through the stickies, but I kinda have two problems I have to jump the yellow wire to use switches or lights, and possibly no compression, how can I test the oil pressure? Thanks
At 45 lbs, it would never start, try adjusting the valves and set them at .0035'' intake and .0055'' exhaust and see if it starts any better..........
Oil pressure can be checked at the left side of the head, round plug with a bleeder screw, loosen it when the engine is running to see if oil flows.........

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Only one fuse is used, the other is a spare...

Shorting yellow to red usually blows an output transistor in the CDI... if so you've now got extra issues - the starter button won't work anymore. Why do people short wires together when they don't have a clue about possible consequences?

Both of these may have been obvious if you looked at the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raptor works ignition switch wiring had a huge bubble in the connection plug under the plastics. Cut spliced in toggle switch. solved the No ignition issue. Later found my petcock had clogged on the main fuel side. Is there a way to clean them out or have to buy these kits I'm seeing on ebay? IDK I thought I looked at the scematics and was using the two to short the ignition switch. Not sure how to test If I blew a output transistor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
IF the bike still starts using the starter push-button you have not damaged the yellow/black CDI output transistor - used to supply 12V to the starter solenoid - you lucked out.

Shorting red to yellow/black can blow that transistor if it's done with key switch off, run/stop switch at stop or neutral switch off...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts