Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got my new 700R yesterday, new helmet, goggles, and gloves. After reading several reviews online and talking to dealers, I was confident that I could bolt on an exhaust, remove the lid, put in a K&N withOUT a PCIII or other computer. If you read reviews online, the magazines say that "Yamaha says that this is the first fuel injection system ever to automatically compensate for aftermarket mods such as exhaust and intake systems.... How wonderful!" ...and other comments to that exact effect.

So my question is... WTF happened to all of that? Everyone says on here that you will run too lean and burn the piston without a computer mod. Even if I unhooked the computer from the battery after the mods, but before running it, forcing it to re-learn everything, I would still burn the thing down??

It's funny that when you are considering buying one, they tell you how great the FI is... then five minutes later when you bought it, they try to sell you a PCIII and pipe.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Duh, you mean you just could not stand the thing in stock form for a while?
You should of been a member on this forum before you bought the Raptor, you would of been told that you do need a fuel controler ::)
Any way, welcome to here :)
Hell, my dealer even told me I needed a fuel controler even if I took off the air cleaner lid :eek:

·
Registered
596 Posts
yeah i hear that. i was a little pissed too. i was told the same thing from a couple diff peeps. you know what though. after joinin this forum and readin testimonials. Ill break down and do it. rather keep the motor runnin and ride than burnin it out.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
If anything this should be a lesson in do not believe everything you read in Magazines as half the time they get their facts wrong when it comes to stuff like this. I knew before I bought my 700R that it didn't have an 02 sensor and there was no way it could compensate for exhaust & intake mods. I think the Magizines and a lot of others just assumed that because it was EFI it would compensate and you know what happens when we assume things.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, you can get good info here :thumbsup:

·
Registered
965 Posts
If it doesnt have an O2 sensor, then it has no way of knowing whether it's running lean or rich. This goes for anything fuel injected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same here, should have joined this forum before I bought. The only mod that I could do before the controller was remove the sparky, I removed the lid and it leaned it out really bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts