Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know...it's funny that when your really into being the fastest around and buy parts to get there you still could loose. I was thinking about the stock 700 falling off at 6k give or take a few hundred RPM. When I was dragging my busa we found the peak HP and had a shift light to let you know when your there. If you went over...it slowed you down and vice versa. We need to find a small lighted shift light that would/could mount on the plastic cover for the bars. This way while riding you know when to shift either racing or playing around to keep it in MAX HP range.

Does anyone know/use of something simple you can set as a shift light without adding tons of weight or complicated wiring? It has to be done or avaliable somewhere to help us keep it where needed!!!

MIke

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tried to look into this once, but only found one that would work with the single cylinder. It was around $250 I think?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
... aren't the Vapors known for having faulty tach readings, though?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Want a shift light and not break the bank?

Well lookie here......

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

Gezz......notice the name of the company? :lol:

Edit: Just wanted to add this.

They do group buys. Some of my buddies did one 2 years ago and got it for much less than the listed price is now.

Now we may not get the same price, but something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep something like that is what I'm talking about. Nobody can really shift at 6k by ear unless you've ridden for a while and know the sound. I think I may give that a try. I was really wanting something we could mount in that plastic so it don't stand out as much. Great find....I might get one next week and see how it is.

M

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mpeavler said:
Yep something like that is what I'm talking about. Nobody can really shift at 6k by ear unless you've ridden for a while and know the sound. I think I may give that a try. I was really wanting something we could mount in that plastic so it don't stand out as much. Great find....I might get one next week and see how it is.

M
If you can hold on for a bit........

I have contacted a guy whose company makes ones just like these. Only thing is his have a micro/window switch built in to it.

You can use the switch for N2O, or other things.

I have to wait to hear back from him. His company makes all kinds of things like this for bikes, etc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okies....I want the most simple ACCURATE light ...nothing more or less. I just want to know when to pop the next gear when riding down the trails ahead of those 450's :grin_nod:

Let us know,
M
and thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
but it does say you can tap into the injector wiring... this may work too..

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
well if you run a pc3 you can buy the electric shifter that you just holt wot and it does all the upshifting for you and preset rpm's that you program..can't g et any easier than that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Headrope said:
... aren't the Vapors known for having faulty tach readings, though?
No Trailtech are just known for faulty readings no matter what they are :lol: my raptor has a logged top speed of 188.76mph :thumbsup:

I guess its harder for you guys state side most of your vehicles are autos most euro vehicles are manual/stick shift so we get used to listening to the motor ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
size12 said:
I guess its harder for you guys state side most of your vehicles are autos most euro vehicles are manual/stick shift so we get used to listening to the motor ;)
:lol:
My guess is most riders over here have ear buds stuck under their helmet and can't hear the motor :grin_nod:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just wanted to bring this back up, I still want a shift light.

The www.raptorperformance.com FAQ states: "The shift light will not work on ignitions typical of ATV and offroad bikes (CDI). The signal to the coil is too short in duration"

However, according to Yamaha our igntion is "16-Bit ECU"

I don't know enough about CDI vs ECU - will this shiftlight work with the 700?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been wanting to do this for a long time and have tried a couple different tachs even for a 2 cyl thinking that it would just show half the rpms I was at and it would work but nothing. I have looked and looked. If anyone figures it out I would be in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I emailed RaptorPerformance about their light, and if it would work. This is their response:

"Thank you for your interest in our products. The 16-bit refers to the type
of microprocessor within the ignition system. If it has a "tach out" lead,
you can connect to it to get engine rpm. However, it can't be connected to
the ignition coil on this type ignition."

So, does the 700 have a tach output?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts