Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out a way to make the black plastics shine again, not factory perfect, but not too bad either. I'll share what I did and you can try yourself. I take no responsibility though! Ok, for starters, I work in the plastics industry so I have a bit of background on what to do. Most plastics are very pourus in nature. When you see haze in the finish, it's mostly because the pours are open and filled with some sort of contaminent. To make it shine, you need to smooth the surface so the pours are closed. The next thing is, the stock glossy finish was created under heat in the injection molding machine. Recreating that is very difficult, but you can get somewhere close to it, at least better the scratched up. The main thing is to take your time, plenty of it. Use the right tools and patience.

The tools:

Mother's PowerBall, small one
Mother's Cleaner/Wax - important, it has a very fine compound in it, this is what smoothes the surface and brings out the shine
1000,1500,2000 grit sanding papers
microfibre clothes for hand polishing etc

Ok, if you are going to remove deep gouges and scratches here is what you can try. First wet sand the area with 1000 paper until the area is smooth. Use new areas on the paper often cause it clogs quickly, keep it wet too. Then use the lighter grit papers until the area is really smooth. Again, use water. Take your time and use less pressure with your hands towards the end. The plastic scratches very easy. Then clean the area off with a rag. Take the powerball and some cleaner/wax from Mothers, apply it to the area and slowly rotate the powerball with the drill to work the compound around and not have it spray all over. Gradually increase the speed of the drill. Apply medium pressure, but not too hard. Work the powerball in circles over the area and back and forth. Wipe it clean and apply new compound. Take a rag and apply some compound by hand and then lightly buff out. See how it looks. If it's cold in your garage, you can use a hair dryer to lightly heat the affected area. Lightly buff back and forth with a clean rag. If the finish isn't good enough yet, repeat the buffing steps again. The key is time and patience. For the final finish, use a good quality wax, like a carnuba and apply with light circles, (a small amount) when it's dry, lightly buff. I did this to my quad and it's not too bad, at least compared to the major scratches and gouges I had.

I would advise you to try it on an inconspicuous area first. Also get more advice from people like Mothers and Meguiar's. When I finish my ride this weekend, I'll post up some pics of what I did. Note: you only want to this proceedure when your plastics are scratched, nicked, gouged, hazed or otherwise. Don't do this to try and better the factory new finish.

good luck

MK

Ok, added pics of the carbon fiber vinyl film that I put on the fenders. I outlined it with black pinstriping. It's not totally finished. I need to get a couple air bubbles out, but that is simple enough when I get more time. I think it looks ok. It was a bitch to put on. Making a flat surface piece of vinyl, in one piece adhere to a curved surface is certainly a challenge, it needs to stretch in some areas, shrink in others, but it will as you can see. The trick is soapy water, hair dryer and taking your time. I plan on putting some RaptorForum.com stickers on the rear fenders and maybe some Yamaha tuning fork stickers on the front, just to spice it up.

Now I need to get myself another reed switch sensor for the trail tech computer. Mine seems to be corroded on the end and it's not picking up the magnet in the stock position anymore.

If any of you want to try the film thing I did, I can certainly help you out. As for the plastics polishing, that Turtle Wax white polishing compound works wonders, apply it, use a wet power ball and keep at it, clean off and repeat. Then cleaner wax, polish and repeat, Works great.

Marcel

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: A method you can try to fix the black plastics.

Cool write up. :thumbsup:I'll give it a try on my wife's r350 when I got some extra time. Post some pics so we can see the finished work. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

adrift said:
Cool write up. :thumbsup:I'll give it a try on my wife's r350 when I got some extra time. Post some pics so we can see the finished work. :)
will do, I put some carbon fiber vinyl film on the fenders too. I think it looks pretty good, but it was a bitch of a job to wrap it around the curved surfaces. Lots of time, pulling, stretching and heat from the hair dryer. I hope to finish this weekend, I'll post pics when I'm done. I'm going to put some RaptorForum stickers on the fenders too!

·
Registered
394 Posts

Thanks Tiggy! Do you think it would work just as good on the blue?

·
Registered
278 Posts

Nice! cant wait to see the pics. Maybe Ill try this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Jman said:
Thanks Tiggy! Do you think it would work just as good on the blue?
I don't see why not. I actually tried another product today that made it even better. Turtle wax polishing compound. It comes in a white tub, it's a white cream paste, sort of like a rubbing compound but not as abrassive. It did wonders. Use it with the power ball, a bit of water like the directions says and the shine is getting much better. I've finished the carbon fiber film on the fenders so I will post pics tomorrow! I think it turned out ok.

TB

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

Good Stuff, nice writeup!! :thumbsup:

I saw that Harbor Freight has a plastic welder, if you have broken plastic, I have never used it but thought this might be good place to post about it... If you go to harborfreight.com and type "plastic welder" in the search box you'll see it. I have actually used a wood burner to fix fenders before, not pretty but did work till I got replacements. Tiggyboot, sorry I'm a little off topic, I didn't want to start a new thread so I was waiting for the next "fender" thread... walla. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pics added

·
Registered
767 Posts
That CF trim looks really cool, nice job Marcel!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
dude your Raptor looks sweet!!! :thumbsup: where did you get the Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film?¿?¿?¿? :eek:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks!

The stuff is pretty neat to work with, the different colors are nice too. I really like the blue/black color, it would look awesome on the blue SE. The red/black would look good on the gray and red 700. I just did it for the hell of it. Something to pass the time while the weather is still the shits here. Where the hell is spring anyway? Can't wait to ride with shorts on, not a winter coat! Trying to clutch with winter gloves on isn't very easy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
that sux your having shity weather. :(..here in Tucson, AZ its perfect!!! a bit warm but its nice enough to take the quads out!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
497 Posts
did you use the black carbon fiber film or the silver?? cant really tell in sum of the pics...looks like the black graphics....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SEVEN00 said:
FANTASTIC...MARCEL SIMPLY FANTASTIC...KUDOS FOR YOU!
Thanks! This stuff is fun to play with. You start looking around thinking, hmm, what else can i cover? Already eyeing up my heltmet...maybe just the visor.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you mess up, you can pull it off no problem. That's providing you take it off right away. After a while it will cure like all other stickers do. To remove, just warm it up with a hair dryer, comes off like butter. Any residue can be removed with the standard adhesive removers, goo gone I think is one. If you take your time, you should get the hang of how this stuff behaives. When you first start putting it on, you will probably think, wait a sec, how the heck is this going to work, it's like trying to wrap a piece of paper around a balloon and make it cover it with no creases, folds, just smooth. What you do is cut the basic shape you want. Make it a minimum of 1 inch extra all the way around. Make the surface wet with water that has a tiny bit of dish soap in it. Then take the paper backing off the sticker and make the back side of the vinyl wet with the soapy water (again only a bit of soap, couple drops to a couple quarts worth. Lay the sticker in place. Lift one end and make it more wet, repeat for the whole underside. Then start in the area that is curved the most, in the center. Use the hair dryer to lightly warm the film. You'll see it start shrinking and moving. Smooth out the air bubbles in the spot and gradually start working your way out from there. You will need to occassionally pull the film from the edge to make it stretch. Use the hair dryer to make the film soft so it will stretch without ripping. Not too hot or it will rip. Use just enough so it starts stretching. You'll be going over spots several times as you make the film conform by shrinking and stretching where it needs to. If things start going sour, just warm up the bad area with the hair dryer, lift the film and pull it, it will flaten out. It's also a good idea to add soapy water to the underside of the film that you haven't gotten to yet, just to keep it from sticking down. When you are totally done, if you get any trapped bubbles of air, use a pin and make a tiny prick in the bubble and work the air out.

Hope those tips help out. There are other resources on the net if you do a search on "vinyl film installation tips"

or something like that anyway :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts