Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a story for you guys!! some of you might know I am building a quad. I went into the yami shop to see my sis in law (parts) And low and behold there's a shiny new elka rear (which is the last major part I need), Sure enough it's for sale!! They say 1250 canadian. I said I was interested but what is it set for weight and riding style. My sis in law goes and grabs a tech and he says it'll work!! a shock is a shock is a shock!!. I thought all elkas were preset and there were internal adjustments that had to be made for the shock to work properly for your weight and style. Anyhow long story short, my sis in law text's me and say the shock is 800. I told here I was interested in it but I had to check on this!! Soo... what the story??? is the shock fully adjustable by me? Oh yeah the tech is telling my sis in law to tell me to fuck off!! great service huh? any help would be great guys!! I'll really feel like an ass if I push matters and I am completly wrong!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone has to have an awnser for me!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Shocks have a few components that may or may not be different from one bike to the next. Just because the shock can be bolted up doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job.

There are usually a limited number of shock bodies for each brand of shock. From this one body different ends and shafts can be used to adapt to different machines. The way I understand it is that travel is not something that can be changed just by a simple part swap, a different body or at least a shaft designed for a different travel must be purchased, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. If your travel is too long your frame could hit the ground, if your travel is too short your shock will bottom out and jar the fillings out of your teeth if you're lucky enough not to break anything on the bike.

Now shocks are specifically valved and sprung for particular applications, machine weights, suspension geometrys, rider weights, riding types, etc. A shock setup for a 200 pound rider and a 4" extended swingarm will barely make use of it's travel for a 155 pound rider on a stock swingarm no matter how many times you crank the pre-load thread and the compression adjustment.

So basically if the shock is for a similar bike/rider/arm-length/terrain or some combination of those then it's possible that you can make it work effectively. But the point of an aftermarket shock both the better materials/components and the tuning so you'd be paying for half the equation and possibly even a worse ride than you've got now.

Get some more info on the shock, then call the manufacturer or a trusted suspension shop and find out what the heck it's built for and what it'd cost to have it respring/revalved for the right application.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks maddog!! This is the exact info I was looking for!!!! always a help even for us green horns :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I'm no shock guru or anything but I'm happy to share what I've got. I sure as heck know that "a shock is a shock" is a load of bull. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if its a true elka shock which i dont think there are fakes there will be an engraved number on the shockhead right below the top mount.....call elka and give it to them and they will tell you everything about it

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, that helps alot too

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If a shock is a shock is a shock, then we'd all be running the same one. Their "tech" doesn't know shit about shocks if that is truly his view. Definitely call elka and see, first if the shock can be used for your app, and second, what it would cost to respring and revalve it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I got my rear shock revalved and fully serviced for around $130 last time I sent it in. Never had it re-sprung so I'm not sure what the cost is there.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
rt said:
I got my rear shock revalved and fully serviced for around $130 last time I sent it in. Never had it re-sprung so I'm not sure what the cost is there.
The prices I've been given for new springs were between 100-150 bucks depending on where you're getting it and what brand.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I never knew that you could get a shock revalved and fully serviced like that. Is it posible to have a stock rear shock upgraded to at least match the performance of a pair of YFZ shocks, and have them function together in unison as though they where designed to do so? Oh, and still be cheeper than a new rear shock? :lol:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TCS does full service on shocks!! Someone else can steer you in the right direction, I know russ has had this done. RT maybe too, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Elka and works do it as well. I'm running an Elka Rebuilt OEM rear I got from a member on here and it's great with my front yfz shocks. Actually it's making me realize that I need to revalve the yfz shocks now.

Complete rear rebuilds usually run about half the price if a new rear shock.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sweet! I don't have the money to go with aftermarket shocks or suspenson so I want to get a pair of YFZ front shocks which, from what I've seen, go for 100-250. I really like jumping my rappy, no higher than 8ft on flat sand and 5 or so on hard flat ground. My suspension doesn't bottom out so I guess that means I'm not being too hard on it ;). Any input on this is more than welcome!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FastFirstGen said:
if its a true elka shock which i dont think there are fakes there will be an engraved number on the shockhead right below the top mount.....call elka and give it to them and they will tell you everything about it
So here's the story! I called Elka directly with the number off the shock and gave them the number off the shock as said above and it tells you when the shock was built, the spring rate, compression and rebound adjustable and what style of riding it was valved for!! Thanks alot, spring rate was for 170 lb rider, mx style. Should work great evn thought I am running a +2 swinger, even if it isn't a strong enough spring I can order the next spring up for $70 ca. The number isn't just there for show!! who knew :lol:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
good stuff man.....they told me everyhing about mine front and rear....its a smart thing to do especially when you're buying used shocks.....Elka's products and customer service are great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup the dude from elka spent about 10 - 15 mins on the phone with me and awnsered every question I could throw at him!! Amazing to find that these days :thumbsup: Top Notch, even gave me a few pointers about the shocks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I emailed them and they told me all about my shocks, great customer service!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts