Raptor Forum banner

About the 700R EFI System

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  _Adrian_ 
#1 · (Edited)
The 700's ECU is an open loop system, it's not a subjective discussion it is a statement of fact that the OEM system as it ships from the factory does not have the ability to automatically (without input from additional non-OEM sensors or controllers) compensate for intake/exhaust/engine modifications. All of the atvs on the market from major manufacturers that I can think of from the top of my head function the same way. Only recently have some of the on-road motorcycles switched to closed loop systems that can make these kinds of adjustments. Cars have used closed loop systems with oxygen sensor feedback for making these adjustments for decades.

The 700R, like other EFI atvs, is equipped with an intake air pressure sensor which monitors the atmospheric pressure and therefore can compensate for the thinner air at higher altitudes. While we're on the subject there is also a sensor for intake air temperature, which is why you don't have problems starting it when it's cold outside.

Now I have heard from some who have bought the GYTR products that they took their atv into the dealership (or had it done before they picked it up) and the dealer flashed the ECU with a different map specifically made for the GYTR pipe and that only the dealerships had this capability to do so. I haven't experienced this myself but it sounds plausible and would explain why Yamaha doesn't see the need to offer their own aftermarket piggy back fuel controller since they can affect the same change with just a software flash. This new map wouldn't compensate for changes either, but it would be pre-tested to provide the additional fuel required for the GYTR setup.

There was also a thread a while back where the 09+ models were able to be put into some kind of diagnostic mode which enabled at least some form of interface or viewing of what appeared to be the EFI map settings. I do not know much about this but do recall it was a surprise to me at the time. I have no idea if or how these can be manipulated and what the impact is when you do so.

Just trying to clear up some confusion, if you think I've got something wrong here or it needs clarification please feel free to chime in.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
who?

#3 · (Edited)
i bought a big gun ecu and the rev limiter was hiting at like 4000 rpm and when i ajusted it to the highest seting it was still hiting the limiter way to soon so i switched back to the oem and the bike ran way better. now i'm about to do some motor work ported head, +1 valves web stage 3 cam, and 11:1 102mm piston with a possible 54mm geisick tb and injector so if there is a good after market ecu i would mind getting it.
Oh currently i have stock motor w trinity stage 4 kit dyna teck ignition and a modded air box

#4 ·
As far as we are aware of the GYTR ECU flash is only an option for the 450 dirt bikes. We have not seen or heard of anything about the Raptor line. This is common with other MFG companies that offer the ECU flash. The flash is usually generic. Each quad/bike is going to have slightly different fuel needs. Customizing the tune would be ideal. Still requiring a fuel tuner like the powercommander to give you the custom tune option.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm surprised that no one is even mentioning MicroSquirt as a viable alternative.
MicroSquirt

It should be more than enough for our purposes and even for those that plan to run turbo kits !!
I'm sure connectors can be found and plug and play harness can be easily made for plug and play purposes.

And its more affordable than you think if you get the DIY version "listed" HERE...

And if you do want a stealth install I'm pretty sure it would fit in the original rappy ecu box if stock connectors can be sourced and a piggy board made to hold the connectors and the just jumper the connections to the microsquirt board.

#7 · (Edited)
This thread is about the STOCK EFI control system, I didn't mention any of the aftermarket piggyback systems either. I didn't want to confuse what the 700R can do from the factory with what is available in the aftermarket.

The microsquirt is a very good product and I've seen it used by pros and amateurs alike. It is an interesting option to our more mechanically inclined members including the hill shooters and drag racers among us but it is beyond the skill set of your average recreational rider.

#6 ·
Mad Dog,

I can confirm what you are describing. I talked about it on here a couple times and I've been somewhat ridiculed, but here goes.

My friend bought the GYTR performance package when he got his bike which included the GYTR pipe and the GYTR intake. The dealer, which is a good friend of us, also sold him the special programmer (it's a dealer only item, you won't find this for sale) they use to mess with these. It plugs in a white connector that is at the very back of the bike under the seat in the fuse/relay area and there are several "stages" that can be chosen from there that richen the bike. You plug it in, change the setting and unplug it, it's not a piggyback or add-on and it really works cause my friend put over 20K miles with this setup on his bike. If it ran lean, it would have blown before getting that far wouldn't it. He also changed his cam last year (removed the head to do so) and all was clean inside, no piston or valve damage from running lean or anything.

That said, when he started putting more mods, none of the settings worked good so he switched to a fuel controller. I'm under the impression those stages are simply a linear boost to fuel all along the fuel curve... so it's not anywhere near as precise as a fuel controller, but still gets the job done for basic mods.

The problem is nobody seems to acknowledge it even exists on here so I'm guessing it's not even a common tool in Yamaha dealerships... So getting these settings changed at the dealership is pretty much a shot in the dark.

My friend bought this unit from our dealer friend so he didn't have to take his bike in every time. He bought it with a friend so I could probably get it to take some pictures if you guys insist. I haven't seen it myself.

#8 ·
i have an 09 and was one of the first to talk about the programable pod on the forum... took months to actualy get answers out of the yammy dealer here in oz on how it actualy works... its very limited it just boots or decrease the whole curve is what i was told ive played with it a bit it would have been good if there were more stages adjustmet in there ... having said that there is alot of other stuff you can adjust too but im not quite sure what i am looking at so i havent messed with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.