Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the acceptable amount of oil consumption?

Seems like after a day of riding(3-6hrs) it always ends up on the low end of the dipstick, I don't have any obvious leaks, no smoke or oil smell really, and the power is good and solid.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
What would be the acceptable amount of oil consumption?

Seems like after a day of riding(3-6hrs) it always ends up on the low end of the dipstick, I don't have any obvious leaks, no smoke or oil smell really, and the power is good and solid.
You never mentioned the quantity................

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
The volume of oil between the bottom and top of the dipstick (with all other conditions the same) is a small fraction of a quart. I, too, have about this much consumption - both in my 660 and in my modded 400ex. Although I think it is a bit much, they have both been this way since I got them, 4 years ago, and have not gotten worse, nor does it appear to be causing any other issues. Interestingly, my stock 400ex will go for many, many hours before a change in level is noticeable.

I have simply taken the attitude that oil is cheap and I don't intend to do anything about it until I notice some kind of reduction in performance related to it.

The important thing is to always maintian oil in the tank - if it occasionally drops below the dipstick, no harm will come of it... as long as there IS oil in it. Check and top off often.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
That is why I like my extra capacity oil tank. When oil is barly on the dip stick I already have a full quart more than what the stock raptor has.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
That is why I like my extra capacity oil tank. When oil is barly on the dip stick I already have a full quart more than what the stock raptor has.
I have one also and it holds some 3.75 liters, it also has a built in oil cooler, I just look at the level and as long as there is oil showing I still have 3 liters..........:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does mine burn oil?..... "would if it got it! :)"

Ah only kidding, Mine is probably going through a little less than this. I've heard that O rings need to replaced after a while and could cause this but time consuming to strip and rebuild engine for the sake of a tiny top up for each trip.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
Does mine burn oil?..... "would if it got it! :)"

Ah only kidding, Mine is probably going through a little less than this. I've heard that O rings need to replaced after a while and could cause this but time consuming to strip and rebuild engine for the sake of a tiny top up for each trip.
If it is orings, seals or gaskets you would notice an oil leak, what is probably happening in your case is that your engine is burning the small amount of oil that gets by the piston rings...........

·
Registered
319 Posts
Spot on coby... got lost in translation somewhere between my brain and my hands :) as a friend of mine in support used to say, its a pebkac issue. (Problem exists between keyboard and chair)
When I was little, I remembered folks saying "It needs O-rings" all the time, while they meant "piston rings".

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
O-rings are very commonly used as a seal between piston and cylinder wall... just not typically in internal combustion engines due to the heat. Hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders are a good example.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
O-rings are very commonly used as a seal between piston and cylinder wall... just not typically in internal combustion engines due to the heat. Hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders are a good example.

You are absolutely right about the seals being rubber in hydraulic jacks, but I have also seen steel piston rings used in a lot of tractor hydraulics.........

·
Registered
319 Posts
I work at a mill, and used to be involved with the machine shop and welding crew.

Most of our pneumatic cylinders use a sort of hard plastic ring, and most of the hydraulic cylinders use a rubber ring.

Just sayin.

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
I work at a mill, and used to be involved with the machine shop and welding crew.

Most of our pneumatic cylinders use a sort of hard plastic ring, and most of the hydraulic cylinders use a rubber ring.

Just sayin.
That is right, I have seen that also................

BUT just imagine a rubber piston ring, being subjected to the heat and compression of an engine's combustion chamber.............:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is right, I have seen that also................

BUT just imagine a rubber piston ring, being subjected to the heat and compression of an engine's combustion chamber.............:)
I was just sayin. lol I'm fairly well educated and experienced in IC engines. :D

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
I used to work in oil field electronics, where we'd design, fabricate and lower computers and their sensors down to the bottom of a 30,000 ft deep well (15,000+ PSI and 200+C down there) in 1.5" diameter 12ft long high strength stainless steel tubing... All joints were double Viton o-rings with flat teflon back-up rings on both sides of the o-ring to prevent extrusion of the o-rings under these less than ideal conditions.

Of course, they weren't designed for the reciprocating action that a piston/cylinder interface sees - but some tools that were lowered equivalently did use similar designs for reciprocating seals - like radio-active dye injectors.

And yes, this is much lower temps than that seen in the combustion chamber of an IC engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts