Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a very expensive, crazy Street Legal Raptor 700. The only issue I have came across is hooking up a fuel guage. I have my dash cluster figured out and I know where and how to hook everything up....... except no idea how to get the fuel level out of the tank. Anyone doing this?

Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Measuring instrument Trip computer

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would think you could use the wire that goes to the low fuel light in the dash, you'd just have to hope your gauge uses the same resistance levels. I know on my Grizzly it has a gauge but I've figured out how many miles per gallon I get and reset the trip meter when I fill it up. A much more accurate way to know exactly how much fuel you have. I know on every Raptor I've had the fuel light comes on at a different level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I can get that but I'm looking for a more professional factory looking setup.

I have actually done a ton of research and I actually think this whole build would be better suited on a 660 project.
The 700 has issues with start and stop driving as well as fuel pump and injection problems. I think having carbs is a better way to go for this. So I'm thinking of changing everything to a 660.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raptor 700 fuel injection is very reliable, I have an 09 with 575 hours and it never has had any fuel injection issues. My brother has owned a 660 for only about a year and a half, and it has required lots of carb tweaks to stay running correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Every one I talked to with a 700 has fuel pump issues when running a big bore kit and cruising highway speeds.
Everyone I talk to who cruises single cylinder atvs at highway speeds destroys the engine anyway from building up way too much heat.
660 may work better with it’s sleeved cylinder.
Curious to what problems you’re referring to specifically with fuel pump, fuel injection, and start and stop driving.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Raptor 700 fuel injection is very reliable, I have an 09 with 575 hours and it never has had any fuel injection issues. My brother has owned a 660 for only about a year and a half, and it has required lots of carb tweaks to stay running correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a 660 for 13 years and only ever opened the carbs once, for jetting change when doing exhaust/intake. 660 carb issues are nearly always an abuse or lack of maintenance issue.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
True, I’m not hating on carbs. I’ve owned several carbed quads over the years, and didn’t have any issues. But I also haven’t had any issues with my raptor’s fuel injection either.

It’s been really nice over the years to be able to click a button on my fuel controller if I want to run with a lid or not, or use a quiet insert or not. We’ve had the carbs off my brothers 660 so many times just to make small tweaks for exhaust & intake setups. It takes patience to get it to a point where you can “set it and forget it”

Pick your poison, you can’t go wrong with either

Also, gearing/tire size will be your saving grace for road riding. Set it up so your rpm’s aren’t excessive at the speed you want to cruise at and you’ll be fine. For stock size tires (20”) I’d go with a 15t front sprocket & possibly a 36t rear as well. Google “raptor 700 gearing calculator,” you can put in your info and see what speed you’ll be at at a certain rpm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts