Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
She is a 1987 TRX250R 馃憤

I've always wanted one. I snagged this one up for $2500 with a title!

This one has some goodies
-Houser LT +3 Front Suspension
-Houser LT Swingarm
-RPM Pin style hubs/Axle
-Lonestar Steering Stem
-FMF Gold Series Fatty with power core 2
-2001 CR250R Ignition

I already have it stripped down to the frame. Doing a gusset kit, and powderciating the frame candy apple red. I'll try to keep thread updated for those interested in the build. It's such an awesome bike, I can't believe how light it is. The engine feels good, compression is good, so I am going to let it ride for a bit. I will be stripping the rattle can off the cases. Every bushing and bearing is getting replaced on the chassis, it is all shot from years of abuse.

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
It's amazing how a running bike can be a bare frame in a few hours. That 250R motor is a lot lighter then a Raptor 700 motor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
So far I am loving the simplicity. I contacted a well known engine builder out in California that is known in the 250r world just asking about a complete rebuild price. To split the cases and inspect the crank/transmission, along with new piston, rings, bore, hone, is right around $650.00 not including shipping. Can't beat that!

So far I am loving the simplicity. I contacted a well known engine builder out in California that is known in the 250r world just asking about a complete rebuild price. To split the cases and inspect the crank/transmission, along with new piston, rings, bore, hone, is right around $650.00 not including shipping. Can't beat that!
Yeah, electrical is a piece of cake.
What brand piston will they use?
Are you talking about Eddie Sanders?
A easy way to ship is wrap the motor in 2 HD garbage bags, get a stout box to fit, rigid foam on each side and bottom, then fill box with expanding foam. Use lots of tape all the way around the box. Mark the box "FRAGLE" in several places. I haven't shipped a motor in a minute, but around $100+ each way. Ask the builder what he prefers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It's not ESR, Rob Selvy. Yes he requested two home Depot boxes with bubble wrap. 1 small and 1 larger for support. That won't be for a few months hopefully would like to get a couple months ride time out of it first.

It's not ESR, Rob Selvy. Yes he requested two home Depot boxes with bubble wrap. 1 small and 1 larger for support. That won't be for a few months hopefully would like to get a couple months ride time out of it first.
Rob's good too. I had a Selvy pipe on mine that had a killer powerband. Individual cones welded together. I told the guy I sold it to I'd give him $50 more refund if he didn't like it. He hasn't been back, LOL.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah he seems like a really good dude and old school which I like. So far I am enjoying it, probably the most fun I have had tearing a quad down to the frame lol. The 250r world reminds me a lot of the Raptor & Corvette community. Very similar in terms of knowledge and support. (y)

Lots of 250R knowledge out there. I've forgotten more then most people will know. haha. Have him reshape the head bowl and mill it for more compression. Adds bottom end.
Will he port it or do you want to do your own? I have magnetic templates for a guide.
I loved all my 250R's, especially the 310R. Only reason I sold them and bought Raptor 700's was my old knees and hips had trouble starting them. Right knee and left hip have since been replaced, and so have the Raptors with a SxS.

Sorry to hi-jack but.... Anyone looking for 250R parts, I have some. Actually I have lots! New and used.

Registered
Lots of 250R knowledge out there. I've forgotten more then most people will know. haha. Have him reshape the head bowl and mill it for more compression. Adds bottom end.
Will he port it or do you want to do your own? I have magnetic templates for a guide.
I loved all my 250R's, especially the 310R. Only reason I sold them and bought Raptor 700's was my old knees and hips had trouble starting them. Right knee and left hip have since been replaced, and so have the Raptors with a SxS.

Sorry to hi-jack but.... Anyone looking for 250R parts, I have some. Actually I have lots! New and used.
Love 2 strokes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts