Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 07 Raptor 700R GYTR and am not sure if I need a programmer box if the only mod I am doing (at this time anyways) is a K&N filter??? Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You will be ok if your are just adding the filter. Just keep an eye on your plugs. Eventually you will want to get one once you start doing the big three.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
raptor07 said:
I just bought my 07 Raptor 700R GYTR and am not sure if I need a programmer box if the only mod I am doing (at this time anyways) is a K&N filter??? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Just curious, why are you just changing the filter? What a you trying to accomplish by that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify.. Ultimately, I want to have the big 3 done.. The intake/filter, programmer, and full exhaust. For now, I want to buy the Pro Design Pro-Flow intake/filter kit and run it without the airbox lid to gain a lil more power. If it *could* possibly lean out too much from just an intake/filter kit, then I wont risk it, Ill just get the programmer and intake/filter kit together. When I get the money Id like to get CT Racings exhaust.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am no expert by any means, and there are alot of people here on the board that may have more experience with this, but I would wait and install all together. I personally dont think you will get enough of a gain out of just the filter kit, although I do think the ECU on the bike will adjust for a small change, im not sure the pluses outweigh the minuses as far as runability is concerned. JMO but, I would buy the parts as it is affordable to you, then install all at once.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hook up the controller if you plan on taking off the lid. Once you put on the kit you will be removing the backfire screen. Doing that and removing the lid warrants a contoller.Then remove you’re baffle if you’re in an area that allows it, then you will notice a difference….if you cant get the controller with the air filter than I think you should leave the lid on for now……you will still be getting better filtration...$0,000,000.02

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my opinion, yes.

The FI is already on the ragged edge of too lean to provide minimum emissions (hence the glowing head pipe syndrome). The stock system is open loop - it does NOT have an O2 sensor or any other way to provide feedback to the ECU to adjust itself for changes, so any modifications you make that actually do improve airflow will result in an even leaner condition. It's not going to blow up right away, but it will be running lean so temps will be even higher, increasing stress on everything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
mws said:
In my opinion, yes.

The FI is already on the ragged edge of too lean to provide minimum emissions (hence the glowing head pipe syndrome). The stock system is open loop - it does NOT have an O2 sensor or any other way to provide feedback to the ECU to adjust itself for changes, so any modifications you make that actually do improve airflow will result in an even leaner condition. It's not going to blow up right away, but it will be running lean so temps will be even higher, increasing stress on everything.
Okay so if i read this thread right than Im running to lean on my bike than huh, I put a new filter(uni) and pulled my sparkarrestor in my exhaust. So if I read this right than this is Bad?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
mws said:
In my opinion, yes.

Thats not what I was told by Fuel Moto! They told me that the bikes ECU will adjust for Types of gas (octane), air temp as well as elevation. Guess they are wrong huh?

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Roc, The stock ecu will adjust for air temp and altitude changes via on board sensors as fuel moto states, but being it does not have an O2 sensor it can not adjust for mods to the intake or exhaust ETC. as I am sure you are already aware of ;)

For anyone considering doing any intake or exhaust mods the very first thing to get is the controller IMHO once you have that then your set for any other mod you want to do, that and just the controller, removing the air box lid and pulling the baffle out once tuned will wake the 700R right up and make it a lot funner to ride while your saving up for the high flow filter and exhaust system of your choice :grin_nod:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Like was stated the machine already runs lean. Any air or exhaust mods should use a computer. As you stated its not always possible to buy everything in a short period of time. If you plan on buying any piece of "the 3" you NEED the computer though. Its your choice of when you install them. Probably repeating whats been said, but its my $0.02

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out of curiosity, is there any power at all to be had just from a controller?? assuming everything else is stock (stock filter with air lid, stock exhaust).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe so - at least in low to midrange power where EPA testing is performed.
Peak power is generally achieved when the mixture is just a bit richer than stoichometric.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Roc, The stock ecu will adjust for air temp and altitude changes via on board sensors as fuel moto states, but being it does not have an O2 sensor it can not adjust for mods to the intake or exhaust ETC. as I am sure you are already aware of ;)

For anyone considering doing any intake or exhaust mods the very first thing to get is the controller IMHO once you have that then your set for any other mod you want to do, that and just the controller, removing the air box lid and pulling the baffle out once tuned will wake the 700R right up and make it a lot funner to ride while your saving up for the high flow filter and exhaust system of your choice :grin_nod:

I agree 110%....you saved me from typing pretty much the same thing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
raptor07 said:
Out of curiosity, is there any power at all to be had just from a controller?? assuming everything else is stock (stock filter with air lid, stock exhaust).
yes there is.....the stock machines run lean in areas. If you go with the PCIII you will also feel the difference of running the accel pump patch

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the instructions sent with my Dobeck Gen 2 it says to run 3-7-2:30-9 for all stock. I havent heard of anyone on here running a dobeck with no mods, but with it running lean stock it has to help somewhat.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
raptair700r said:
On the instructions sent with my Dobeck Gen 2 it says to run 3-7-2:30-9 for all stock. I havent heard of anyone on here running a dobeck with no mods, but with it running lean stock it has to help somewhat.
Exactly...same with the pcIII. there is an ALL STOCK map that adds fuel....and actually adds quit a bit in some spots for a STOCK machine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I may sound like a moron but, whats the difference between the PCIII and the Dobeck?, (if there even is a difference). Whats better for the quad? I have Intake, K&N filter, Header, and exhaust. Still need to program mine. Wich one should I go with???

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
PCIII !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts