Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i tighten the locknuts on the adjusters do i need to put loctite on or anything, i think its supposed to be like 10 ft lbs i think. i dont have a good torque wrench, should i just snug em up real good? i had a problem with the intake nut coming off my warrior, i dont think ill get the nut out the raptor motor as easy if it comes off

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
I do not use loctite, not sure if anyone else does but I don't recommend it.

Unless you have a good idea what 10ft-lbs feels like, I would caution against "snugging them up real good". Perhaps it would be a good time to drop by a local auto parts store, some of them have a tool loan program and you can borrow a torque wrench.

I will admit at this point I have done it enough times I believe I have a "good enough feel" for 10ft lbs and rarely use the tq wrench on them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when i said snug \, i meant about as tight as i can get them, without felling like im going to bend something

·
Registered
335 Posts
well when i said snug \, i meant about as tight as i can get them, without felling like im going to bend something
bad idea, get you a torque wrench.. what feel like "10ftlbs" with this wrench isnt the same as a longer one, you can easily be fooled into stripping something. With a longer wrench you will have more leverage and it will appear easier becasue of that... save yourself the stress and just buy it

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Depending on how strong your wrists are, 10 pounds is about a good twist with your wrist, and I mean twist, not pulling..........

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
No locktite needed. Mildly snug if no tourque wrench. Recheck the clearance after you tighten them. Most of the time, one or two have to be reset.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i adjusted the intakes yesterday the exhaust valves was ok. the intakes had .000 clearance, i put them right around .150mm. i got a chance 2day to get some of it back together to start it and let it run for a while, well i hit the start button and it started the second time it turned over with no throttle, ive not seen it do that since i got it 3 months ago (hot or cold engine). i dont think im going to have to adjust the idle no more either, but i have not rode it yet so i dont know for sure

while it was warming up just idling i reved it a few times and it seems like it revs a little faster and makes a little more power, how much of a differance in hp can the engine make with valves adjusted right, vs being adjusted tight (no clearance)? if any?

i dont think i have revd the engine past 5 or 6 K rpms, im a little scared to because i dont have a torque wrench (of the right size) but i know they are tighter than 10ft lbs. and i didnt strip nothing, so do you think its ok to ride the crap out of it?

i think im going to get it warmed up one time and rev it to the limiter then cut it off right away and check to make sure the locknuts are still tight on the adjusters

im glad i did check the clearance tho, it was pretty easy, im just worried about the locknuts coming loose because it happened on my warrior 2 times, i wonder if the warrior overheating and something to do with the locknut comeing loose?

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
well i adjusted the intakes yesterday the exhaust valves was ok. the intakes had .000 clearance, i put them right around .150mm. i got a chance 2day to get some of it back together to start it and let it run for a while, well i hit the start button and it started the second time it turned over with no throttle, ive not seen it do that since i got it 3 months ago (hot or cold engine).

while it was warming up just idling i reved it a few times and it seems like it revs a little faster and makes a little more power, how much of a differance in hp can the engine make with valves adjusted right, vs being adjusted tight (no clearance)? if any?

i dont think i have revd the engine past 5 or 6 K rpms, im a little scared to because i dont have a torque wrench (of the right size) but i know they are tighter than 10ft lbs. and i didnt strip nothing, so do you think its ok to ride the crap out of it?

i think im going to get it warmed up one time and rev it to the limiter then cut it off right away and check to make sure the locknuts are still tight on the adjusters

im glad i did check the clearance tho, it was pretty easy, im just worried about the locknuts coming loose because it happened on my warrior 2 times, i wonder if the warrior overheating and something to do with the locknut comeing loose?
Don't rev the engine for the hell of it, take it for a ride instead, and if you don't have a torque wrench use a fish scale, just pull 10 pounds per foot or 20 pounds per half foot..........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
im so happy you guys talked me into checking it.....thanks
i plan on going thru the carbs soon so im not going to put it all back together and ride just yet, i just wanted to see how it ran after i did the adjustments

plus i got to figure out how to get the broke chain adjuster off :( so i can put new ones in and a new chain on. i want to flip the rear link to
o and i need axle bearings lol

maybe ill be riding by this fall :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
man i thought i gave my self a heart attack.. i just couldnt resist and just had to see how it rode, well i actually had to turn my idle up just a little after it had got warmed up for once. i said i was going to take it easy on it just to see if the idle went up as it warmed up good, but the next thing i know im walking 100ft wheelies.. well i went to dump the clutch and pop a wheelie and it stood at about 45 degrees and i heard a big clunk and it stalled, ( i thought the adjuster nut come off and locked something up)
but then i looked down at the chain and noticed it come off and wrapped around the front sprocket..( thats scared me 10x's worse than the nut) lol but i got the chain out and put it on, took it for a easy ride up the driveway thru the gears and it seemed ok.... the chain on my mojave wrapped around the front sprocket and broke a tooth off second gear. but it was ALOT harder to get the chain out, took probaly 30 mins or more
man that really scared the poo outta me!!!!!

it runs alot better now, it just stalls sometimes. but i think its beacuse the idle is to low? or the carbs need cleaned? i have not got to them yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts