Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to ride on some muddy trails tomorrow - the type that are dusty as hell in the summer and sludgy in the winter. This will be my first time doing so with my own quad (I've borrowed buddies' in the past).
I'm not foofy about wanting to keep my quad brand new looking, but don't want a year-old special edition quad looking like shit afterwards. Is there anything special I can do before hand that will make cleanup easier?
Any special considerations I need to make due to the fuel injection?
Any tricks of the trade you want to share?
Much thanks.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just wash it as soon as you are done....don’t let it dry up. Don’t pussy foot around in the mud...momentum is your friend.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
thats what you bought it for isnt it? go get ot muddy and wash it when your done. you guys that ride in sand have no idea. i get so muddy every time i ride. we spent 12$ on 3 quads at the car wash yesterday on the way home from riding. nothing better than spraying mud all over the bay that some brother is going to wash his yukon in next. always makes me laugh :grin_nod:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pam non stick cooking spray, cake it on under the fenders and lightly on top. its not 100% and it wears out after awhile, but you'll be surprised how well it actualy works :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
SMIB fursure said:
nothing better than spraying mud all over the bay that some brother is going to wash his yukon in next. always makes me laugh :grin_nod:

LOL!!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
yeah man, wax that bitch and ride hard.... clean up is easy.. their is now teflon type spray waxes you can spray on undercarage and etc... i wax all the time and i have a semi truck steam pressure washer to do all of my clean up, makes short work of the big mess..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Pledge... works every time and it smells good. Your se will smell like a lemon

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Agree with SE700r use Pam on the engine and under the fenders heavily and lightly on top of the fenders.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The butter in Pam doesn't burn into the paint on the engine?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Headrope said:
The butter in Pam doesn't burn into the paint on the engine?
i duno, i have never put anything on the engine. ive only done the plastics.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Theres a simple soulution as soon as your done riding go find a big puddle and haul ass through it a couple of times. :metal:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've done alot of muddin with my rappy and I had a big bear 400 once upon a time. Raptors are really not made to mud but that doesnt stop me. It has very little ground clearence so be aware of that. You can go through mud but when you get stuck dont just floor it, hold it down for a sec then let of and repeat. At the same time you wanna rock side to side and try to get some traction. But like i said dont floor unless u have to, most of the time you don't because of the torque it has. When you floor in soft mud u just dig anyways. IMO
If you really want to protect your quad put the air lid back on, thats if you have it off. Every now and again check the drain plug on the air box. The little clear piece with the clamp on it at the bottom, drain it and knock the drit out. Also i really woundnt try wearing goggles unless you can bring a clear rag with you and keep it clean but always wear a HELMET. HUmm what else.. Oh bring a full set of extra clothes cause your gonna need. Do you have any fishing waiters(sp), the pants you can wear where no water gets in. Those are freaking awesome. All you have to do is spray em off and there clean. Other then that man just have fun and prove to your buddys that a rappy can do anything. I continue to amaze ppl on how far i can take my rappy in the mud. good luck and have fun -- WOODY

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
W69DY said:
I've done alot of muddin with my rappy and I had a big bear 400 once upon a time. Raptors are really not made to mud but that doesnt stop me. It has very little ground clearence so be aware of that. You can go through mud but when you get stuck dont just floor it, hold it down for a sec then let of and repeat. At the same time you wanna rock side to side and try to get some traction. But like i said dont floor unless u have to, most of the time you don't because of the torque it has. When you floor in soft mud u just dig anyways. IMO
If you really want to protect your quad put the air lid back on, thats if you have it off. Every now and again check the drain plug on the air box. The little clear piece with the clamp on it at the bottom, drain it and knock the drit out. Also i really woundnt try wearing goggles unless you can bring a clear rag with you and keep it clean but always wear a HELMET. HUmm what else.. Oh bring a full set of extra clothes cause your gonna need. Do you have any fishing waiters(sp), the pants you can wear where no water gets in. Those are freaking awesome. All you have to do is spray em off and there clean. Other then that man just have fun and prove to your buddys that a rappy can do anything. I continue to amaze ppl on how far i can take my rappy in the mud. good luck and have fun -- WOODY

Terrific info. Thanks!

I planned on wearing my rubber boots and yellow, crab fisherman-looking bibs and rain jacket. They cost me $30 at a GI Joes store, and worked great when I was riding in ocean weather nobody should have been riding in earlier this winter. I was thinking of duct taping the pant legs over my boots - mainly to keep the boots from being suctioned off when I step.

Good point too about the goggles - hadn't even thought about that. The fenders on the 700s are pretty much useless if the wheels are turned at all. I'm probably going to end up with a face full of mud compared to times I've ridden in the past on others' bikes.

I think I'm going to stay away from the Pam treatment up top. I've done that before on the underside, skidplates, etc. Many people have suggested it over the years (and recently in QUAD magazine) but nobody seems to know if buttery overspray onto the engine will burn into the paint. Again, I'm not foofy about keeping the quad prestine, but having splatterpaint-looking burn marks on the engine isn't what I'm after.

Anything else?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I use WD-40 on evrything, same concept as other guys, I'm married Pam is off limits! :lol: Might wanna bring extra clothes... or garbage bags for truck seats!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Headrope said:
W69DY said:

Terrific info. Thanks!

I planned on wearing my rubber boots and yellow, crab fisherman-looking bibs and rain jacket. They cost me $30 at a GI Joes store, and worked great when I was riding in ocean weather nobody should have been riding in earlier this winter. I was thinking of duct taping the pant legs over my boots - mainly to keep the boots from being suctioned off when I step.

Good point too about the goggles - hadn't even thought about that. The fenders on the 700s are pretty much useless if the wheels are turned at all. I'm probably going to end up with a face full of mud compared to times I've ridden in the past on others' bikes.

I think I'm going to stay away from the Pam treatment up top. I've done that before on the underside, skidplates, etc. Many people have suggested it over the years (and recently in QUAD magazine) but nobody seems to know if buttery overspray onto the engine will burn into the paint. Again, I'm not foofy about keeping the quad prestine, but having splatterpaint-looking burn marks on the engine isn't what I'm after.

Anything else?
y cant u wear goggles u can get ones that have the peal off things.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe you should of bought a Boat!..... :grin_nod: Don't forget the fishing pole.............. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts