Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 660 raptor i do a lot of trail riding with a lot of jumps. i dont usually get out of 3rd gear on the trails, there just isnt the room. i would like to add tourqe to my bike and increase my speed in my lower gears since i cant really stretch the bike out. i am currently on a stock suspension but plan to change the fronts to 450 r shocks very soon. i am one tooth down on the front sprocket. i looked at a stroker kit and 686 big bore with a stage 2 cam but a buddy advised against it, saying it would take away from bottom end power. any feedback would be great. i am in roanoke va not sure how this area affects performance {if it even does} but i need some help before i go deep into my pockets. thanks guys

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
My 686 11:1 with stg1 was a great setup IMO, definately more low end over stock, i had my stock crank in it too...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
not at all, i dont think it overheated once on me, i going back to a stock build right now though, for realibility reasons...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats another issue i take my bike and knock on wood it comes back out of the woods on its own every time. u sually the guys i go with a re towing at least one of the other modded quads out of the woodsto. stock to stock should a yfz450 r 05 be able to outrun my 660?

·
Registered
135 Posts
my set up before was better then stock for low end pull. 11:1 piston, stage 2 cam, no air box w/K&N and alba pipe. 12 tooth front 39 tooth rear 20"tire.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
stock compression is 9:1. no, dont worry about head gaskets.. and i ran the 11:1 piston with a 102mm bore, 686cc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine was the stock 100mm bore. Nothing special for head gaskets or fasteners, all stock parts there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ur best investment is only gnna cost yah 10$ you being a trail rider you should drop a tooth in front ull love it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Whooops didn't read ur sleazy -1 my bad but 11.1 and stage 1 for budget build and 11.1 and stage 2 for the grunt in the open fields

Also ur buddy is wrong and right the 686 will help ur lowend and the stroker will hurt ur bottom end lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lol also what exhaust u running ?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Get a real pipe on there. The stock head pipe chokes even a stock motor down. A set of duals or a single will make a big difference. I would not even touch the internals until you get a good jetkit intake and exhaust then see if you need more power. Dirt wheels did a dyno shootout years ago and most all pipes gave a good power boost. I think 10-15hp on all the pipes. I'm not gonna say who the best was because it always starts a war(not lately but it use to from what I've read) but Sparks and CT seem to do the best for singles now but on a smaller motor just about any will be better then stock.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree. I just put a sparks exhaust, pro flow intake, and a dynojet jet kit and it seems like my 660 has twice the power. The bike wants to pull wheelies or rip the tires. Defiantly worth the $400 for the used parts. Although this still wont get you out of 3rd gear on the trails. I would go to a bigger sprocket on the rear to fix that problem. 42 or 44 sounds ideal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i thought about the sprocket but i dont want to eliminate my first gear all together and i dont have much of one now with the sprocket at 11 teeth on the front. i just got a fmf power bomb header and pipe so hopefully that will help me out. did you do any airbox mods when you put your pipe on?

·
Registered
197 Posts
i thought about the sprocket but i dont want to eliminate my first gear all together and i dont have much of one now with the sprocket at 11 teeth on the front. i just got a fmf power bomb header and pipe so hopefully that will help me out. did you do any airbox mods when you put your pipe on?
Yeah I used the pro designs pro flow filter with aluminum adapter for a good seal. I would defiantly get rid of the air box lid and get an adapter for the good seal. Your new full exhaust will allow only as much flow as you can get into you engine so the intake is just as important. Also you will defiantly have to buy a jet kit. I tested my bike after I put the pipe on with out jetting it and it didn't have any improved power until jetting it. Dynojet FTW :wow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts