Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I'm new so sorry if this has been asked already. I tired the search function and did not find what I wanted.

OK, so my question is this, what are the benefits of aftermarket A arms? I just want a generic answer. I don't want to go wider in the front. I'm from central IL and ride mostly trails so the narrower the better. I want to upgrade my front suspension and not sure to up grade to 450 shocks or go aftermarket. Do the A arms make much difference? Are the 450 shocks good enough? I like to think I'm a good rider but that depends who you are riding with. My friend has a stock '07 GTY-R Raptor with the piggy back shocks and I like it better than my stock '06.

Also, I'm new to the suspension game. I see a lot of people talking about settings and ride height. Is there a good link or book that steps you though setting up a quad? I converted to quads for bikes so I like motocross and jumping.

On another note, anyone from central IL? I normally hit Badlands, Rockport, Astoria, Cliffs, and Taylorville.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
usually you buy a arms to get a wider stance up front for better handling/longer travel/less tippy. If you do not want to go wider then forget about buying a-arms. There are ALOT! of guys on hear with yfz 450 shocks on their rappys and love them, I want a pair sometime soon too.... or you can go aftermarket, just how much cash you wanna throw out...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you dont wanna go wider then there isnt much of a need for a arms. There are companies that make them so they are the same width as your stock ones but they dont really do much aside from look nicer and if its a good company then they are stronger.

The yfz front shock is a great upgrade. I have them on my bike but they do sit a tad lower then the stock shocks so you will loose a tiny bit of ground clearance but once you get them dialed in its worth it. I had the oppertunity to ride a 700 with aftermarket elkas. Just a cheap no ressie pair ($400 or so) and I would say they rode just like my yfz450 shocks. I didnt notice any better ride. Now with some nicer ones I am sure you would but in that comparison I would take my yfz450 shocks and the $200+ cash I would have left over. 8)

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can buy stock width long travel arms that have heim joint pivots with high misalignment sleeves at the spindle ends to get you more travel along with a longer shock.

For what your doing, Id say just upgrade to 450 or SE shocks with stock arms.

Ride height and settings are experimental. Play with the settings and decide what you like best.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you want more ground clearance go to www.motosport.com . They have Houser Max Gnd Clearance A-arms. Great set up...

·
Registered
234 Posts
twowheelfury said:
First let me say I'm new so sorry if this has been asked already. I tired the search function and did not find what I wanted.

OK, so my question is this, what are the benefits of aftermarket A arms? I just want a generic answer. I don't want to go wider in the front. I'm from central IL and ride mostly trails so the narrower the better. I want to upgrade my front suspension and not sure to up grade to 450 shocks or go aftermarket. Do the A arms make much difference? Are the 450 shocks good enough? I like to think I'm a good rider but that depends who you are riding with. My friend has a stock '07 GTY-R Raptor with the piggy back shocks and I like it better than my stock '06.

Also, I'm new to the suspension game. I see a lot of people talking about settings and ride height. Is there a good link or book that steps you though setting up a quad? I converted to quads for bikes so I like motocross and jumping.

On another note, anyone from central IL? I normally hit Badlands, Rockport, Astoria, Cliffs, and Taylorville.

Thanks.
the only bad thing i hear about putting on the 450 shocks is that it lowers your front end about an inch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.