Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 04 660... its got a HMF exhaust on it... no idea if its been jetted.... (im planning on doing it anyways) So Id like to get rid of the stock foam filter and put on a K&N but what set up is a good one? I will be riding in the sand, but mostly I'll be in the Mountains. iv found a few choices off ebay but wasnt sure whats a good one.... Do i want to completely eliminate my air box with a set up like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raptor-660r...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fbe6c0b6 of course id also add outer wear, but would this be to exposed and suck up dirt and water??

or I found this.. a more basic one and just leave my lid off.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Design-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item58905c3e44

or this perhaps...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Rapt...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e682c3a61

any input would be great!!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I am running a set up like the Pro Design and love it. I ride in only sand and dirt, no water. When I got mine it was missing the airbox.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Then keep the air box and run a topless box with some holes, you got to love a topless box.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Yep, but better air flow. But by putting holes in it you can get more air than just having the top off.

I did some river riding this summer and had to put through the water, than goodness there was more sand than water.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Skip the velocity intake for several reasons.

1. The factory air intake tubes are more of a velocity stak than the velocity intake. Look they gradualy increse in diameter as they get closer to the air filter. The velocity intake is just has a bump where it increases in diameter.

2. The factory air intake tubes are made out of rubber, and the velocity intake tubes are aluminum or steel. The ruber insulates the intake air agaist engine heat way better than a metal tube. So your intake air temp is going to be lower.

3. You still have to run part of an air box with the velocity kit. There is noting to fasten it to allow you to completly remove the air box. You will still need a pice of the air box to support the intake and filter.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You best bet is a stock air box with a K&N Pro Design kit. It will allow you to remove the lid. I wouldnt bother with cutting holes in the lid because it really doesnt help keep your filter cleaner than no lid at all. Just ditch the whole thing. Then if you decide to go mudding or power wash your atv put the lid on to keep water off the filter.

If you would like to run no air box at all then cut the bottom and back off the air box. Leave the RH side on or if your running dual exhaust leave both sides on. This will act as a heat shield and keep the filter and intake air cooler. Leave about an 1" at the top all the way around for strenth and that way you will still be able to mout it up like a factory air box.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
No you do not want that. That is the factory replacement filter. That is like the one that comes with that aluminum air box.

You want something like this. The billit plate has a gasket and is bolted to the air box. Then the filter clamps down on the billit bracket. That way you dont have to run an air box lid in order to keep the air filter in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Design-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5646d1ff2a

You might check with a site sponcer. They could probably get you just as good of a deal and you would be doing buisness with a sponcer.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Wish my bike was together, I would take a photo.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It looks to be a fair price. You could also achieve the same thing by getting a pro design kit and cutting up the air box. You would have the option of leaving the RH side on and using it as a heat shield between the air filter and exhaust pipe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts