Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of those aftermarket 30% higher volume radiators for my 660 but I can't figure out how they fit in the stock position when there is not a lot of room under the hood for a bigger radiator. Is the aftermarket radiator thicker or what?

·
Registered
505 Posts
its thicker...i got mine from an ebay seller in china...you cant run the guard thing thats behind the hood, but the radiator fits fine. I just had to trim the mounting tabs and elongate the holes a bit...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a fluidyne one on my 07. It fit in the stock position and does fit under the hood. I did have to trim the mounting tabs on either side of the rad but keep in mind this was on a 700. Im not sure if it would be the same for a 660. Good luck

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
its thicker...i got mine from an ebay seller in china...you cant run the guard thing thats behind the hood, but the radiator fits fine. I just had to trim the mounting tabs and elongate the holes a bit...

Do you think it helps cool of the engine any better, I'm curious since I have had problems with over heating in the past but it wasnt caused by the radiator being too small................

·
Registered
505 Posts
i think it does, my fan hardly comes on while out in the dez with my 11:1 101mm. Some of the trails I ride are rough so ur not moving as fast but need to keep the revs up cuz ur in a hilly area. My fan would come on during those rides...not any more. Ive only heard my fan come on once or twice since getting the radiator. It was 2 weeks ago...slow/technical riding in 90* weather.

I paid about 130ish for it, think i got like 120ish for my oem radiator...so I got it for $10-20....not bad imo

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Eddie: The fact that your fan seldomly comes on tells you that the stock radiator was working perfectly - the fan only comes on when coolant temp reaches around 208F, and if it goes back off it's cooled the system down properly - but a higher capacity won't hurt you... unless you do a lot of frigid weather riding. However, it doesn't do you any good, either, IMO - the fan makes up for slow riding/air flow.

·
Registered
505 Posts
QM, My fan would come on with the oem radiator..not as much now with the aftermarket one. My bad if my post doesnt make that clear.

I was running the same engine combo on an 03 and my fan didnt like our summer temps...never got a bigger radiator because only big name ones were available back then...$$$. I got this radiator for my 04 because I knew what my 03 did...problem solved imo.

Ive had the radiator since 4/10 iirc...no issues...no pin holes, no weld cracks, nothing. I did junk the cheap cap that came with it though...kept my OEM and it fit fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts