Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i noticed my chain wasnt tracking quite straight after i installed my aftermarket swinger with round bearing carrier, so i got to checking things and its really running not straight, so much so that the front sprocket is wore down on the inside and was probably the cause for my output shaft seal leaking as well.
the only thing i can see that would be causing this is i reused the stock sprocket hub, and it looks to me like the lip on the sprocket hub that is supposed to go in the stock bearing seal on the stock bearing carrier is not in fact in the seal, but riding on the outside of the seal, making everything on the axle over, off to the left the length of that little lip. on further examination, the lip that is supposed to go in the seal, is way to big in diameter to fit inside the seal, and will not fit.
has anyone else had this problem? did i maybe get sold a round bearing carrier for a different bike that has a different inside diameter on the seal, or are all round bearing carriers made the same and you must use an aftermarket sprocket hub? just curious because i havent seen anyone else here have this problem, and i checked out prices just for a sprocket hub is like 160 bucks, a bit steep.
anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
The carrier seals are the same size around,but different sizes of inside diameter.Did you maybe put the wrong seals in on the wrong sides..??..Pretty easy not to notice that,and think there the same and get em in backwards..

Any gap on the other side of the carrier,were the hub slides in that side of the seal..??

Try carefully popping them out,and switching sides.

Later...

·
VIP
1,023 Posts
I second the notion that the seals are on the wrong sides.

The inner diameter of the sprocket hub seal is larger than the disc hub. I usually dry fit them first to the hubs to see which seal goes where before installing them into the carrier.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, i didnt think of that, but when i bought the carrier the bearings and seals were already installed, so if that is the case they were installed wrong prior to me buying it, although it was new when i bought it.
i will pull it all apart tonite and see if the brake hub has play in it, it has been a while since i put it together but i dont believe it had slack. thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so today i pulled everything apart, and from what i can see maybe i have got sold a poorly machined bearing carrier, i took the bearings and the seals out, and the seals were in the right way. i used the sprocket hub to push just the seal in to see how far the bearings and seals need to be in, so that the sprocket teeth lined up with the chain guide, and measured the depth outside of the bearing carrier to the outside seal surface with calipers, and it was .090 deeper then when all the bearings and seal are fully seated. maybe they didnt machine the bearing seat deep enough on that side? i also measured the brake hub side depth of the bearing seat and it was also .090 deeper then the sprocket side, so im not sure maybe i should just get it machined deeper on that side, or do you maybe think there is more to the situation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts