Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HARD EVIDENCE THAT AIR BOX LID OFF MAKES THAT BIG OF A DIFF. THANKS

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Its been dyno'd and proven on the 660 so Im sure its the same on the 700.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Engines are air pumps, the more air in (mixed with the proper amount of fuel) produces more power. Look at ANY aftermarket pipe or engine builder's tech data (dyno runs) and look at what they tell you in regards to how to make the most power....none of them that I know of will tell you to keep the thing bottled up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes, its proven.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 700 seems to be louder with the lid off, thats for sure.

Yes, I have have went back and forth dozens of times because I ride in a lot of real dusty areas. I put the lid back on during those rides. It runs better with the lid off. I also have to make slight adjustments to the Dobeck TFI Controller when switching back and forth.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Also - while i was on the phone with rocket factory today, they were telling me that some people are completely removing their air box.... you have to leave the front two bolts that hold the front part of the air box.... bcs thats where your filter (adapter plate) connects.... so people are cutting there air box like in half.... or just cutting around, leaving the fron two bolts connected....

Has anyone one here done this? i asked RF about it.... and they told me probably to not do it bcs i mainly ride MUDDY trails.... with water..... what do you all think?

Thanks Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
I mean i run with my air box lid off... but i hadnt even thought about completely removing over half of the air box..... RF said that it helps more than you would think....

Plattner

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't have dyno numbers to prove it but...seat of the pants says yes it does make more power if you use a fuel controller to take advantage of it without running lean. It will run horribly lean without a controller. running a bigger intake and filter will make it even better. I use a Pro Designs but to each his own here. There are several that get the job done. I say K&N with Outerwears for dunes and multi stage foam for everything else. but some may argue with that.

Taking the whole box airbox off? I would say not worth the risk for such a small if any gain over running with no lid.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I would not recomend taking the whole airbox out of there unless you plan on rebuilding all the time, or do asphault drags!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 700, my cousins 660, and my dads 660 all have the airboxes cut out with K&Ns w/ Outerwears. Im 90% sure i heard somewhere that not airbox gives 2-4 more HP depending on the cut. My dad's has been cut for about 5 years now (its an '01) and we havent had any problems. Still runs strong and torquey. But ofcourse we only run sand and that is about the only place i would say its ok to do that. My cousin sometimes runs in dirt too but not in dusty areas. If you ride in areas other than that id say to put some type of high-flow lid on. IMO they give pretty good protection and are still very close to having no lid.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What if you dont have an efi? will it help or make it worse?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i run my raptor without an airbox and no efi but im about to get the head ported and polished high compression piston mild cam etc. but it run lean but still make alot of power over stock have pipe and gytr filter

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
bigeazy said:
i run my raptor without an airbox and no efi but im about to get the head ported and polished high compression piston mild cam etc. but it run lean but still make alot of power over stock have pipe and gytr filter
She'll run like a rapped ape... only thing is, in about a month you'll buy new piston!!! If you are running no lid with a pipe... nono!!! They are lean from the factory, you have leaned it beyond the max!!!

The lid is a huge difference!!! My buddies 660 ran like shit when we put LTE duals and rejetted it. Took the lid off and she smoothed right out! Fuel/air mix is what it's all about. You NEED a TFI to richen up the mix!!! In my 2-stroke days I would run lean... too lean! She'd haul ass for a couple DAYS then it was tear down time!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
SandDragon said:
bigeazy said:
She'll run like a rapped ape... only thing is, in about a month you'll buy new piston!!! If you are running no lid with a pipe... nono!!! They are lean from the factory, you have leaned it beyond the max!!!

The lid is a huge difference!!! My buddies 660 ran like shit when we put LTE duals and rejetted it. Took the lid off and she smoothed right out! Fuel/air mix is what it's all about. You NEED a TFI to richen up the mix!!! In my 2-stroke days I would run lean... too lean! She'd haul ass for a couple DAYS then it was tear down time!!! :thumbsup:
Buy new piston ?? Nono , I have ridden my 700 for more than a year on very very dusty areas without the lid , and never had any problems with the enjin ..... We bought it without a airbox lid , they said we dont have to worry about it .......

·
RED ROCKET!!!
2,360 Posts
He meant without a fuel controller not because it doesnt have a lid. If you do those mods and dont run a fuel controller it will lean out, detonate and fry the piston

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
cmat said:
He meant without a fuel controller not because it doesnt have a lid. If you do those mods and dont run a fuel controller it will lean out, detonate and fry the piston
Yup. Hey it's your bike... You wouldn't catch me with my bike that lean. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
SandDragon said:
cmat said:
Yup. Hey it's your bike... You wouldn't catch me with my bike that lean. :thumbsup:
Same here.

Just because it runs strong doesnt mean that is good especially if you want long term dependability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.