Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see those air shocks they are using now that doesnt even have a coil spring on it?? I think Fox Racing makes them... Any experience?

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive seen them on a 450 but never had the chance to ride on them. they look pretty cool but what happens when your air leaks and you bury your frame off a jump. i dont trust any shocks without springs :unsure:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i hear ya there.. be interesting to see how they stand up over time.. cuz its a neat concept.. (i have air ride on my tahoe.. why not on the rappy.. lol)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I read a review on them one time and they seemed to do great and they even did a long time test (only like 6 months though) and they were still perfect. My dislikes about them is their looks, they look really cheap to me like they are off a pep boys quad becuase they dont have the springs but I guess its all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy the float. I have had a float on my Cannondale super v for 9 years and never a problem. Infinite spring adjustment. Fox has been making shocks forever….may have even started in the shock business…..

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading all my shocks too. I called up fox to get some info on those shocks because I liked the idea of the weight I would save on using them. Anyway, fox to me that it is recommended to check the air pressure before every ride especially if you are experiencing fluctuations in temperatures. Seeing that here in eastern NC we experience wide range of temperature fluctuations in the winter time, I realized then that it would been a pain in the butt to check it before every ride. Who needs more maintenance? Hey but that’s just my opinion

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well from the looks of that review i posted on here it comes with a simple air pump/gauge.. prolly take 2 mins to check/change pressures and ya could do that while the bike is warming up anyways

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah I know it wouldn't take to long. I think they said it come's with two pumps

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so is it work the 800.00 or go for elka's or how does everyone think they compare to the competition?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been asking around and the opinion is that Elkas are the best ( in their opinion ). But don't but shocks unless you're already putting on +2 a arms... because I would imagine that eventually you're going to want to widen your quads stance and then you would have to either re-valve them or buy new ones for the a-arms. Unless you went with regular travel +2's which is a waste of money anyways. Just my .02

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wonder if you can use nitrogen instead of air in the fox shocks. That would help with the pressure changes from temp changes. As the shock works it generates heat, wouldn’t that change the pressure in the shock in turn change the spring rate?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the Fox shocks on mine. I have had them for about a year. Cannot compare to Elka's etc. as I have not had a chance ride them. Night and day difference over stock! No problem with leaks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts