Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has an account at a local airport and i was wondering if 100 octane would have a performance benefit that was worth spending money on? i know it made a heck of a difference in my car (t-type buick regal) but there is a huge difference there the car is turbocharged and has a chip with stages accounting for octane ratings

Also im looking for opinions on the best slip on for the money my e-series isnt holding up too well. I was looking at FMF such as the powercore and the Q2, yoshi, dr. d, supertrapp, but im also not looking to pour a huge amount of cash out for another exhaust. A fairly quiet one would also be nice.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
a stock motor will have no benifit of a higher octain fuel, stick with pump premiem fuel and your good.
on a side note stop using avation fuel in your car its not good for it. if you need race gas go buy it and not avation fuel.
mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I would like to thank you guys for the advice most people dont reply to a newbie's topic. Yet, I disagree I know that the aviation fuel is called 100 low lead meaning it contains a small amount of lead wich is unlike any pump gas you can buy for cars. I know this is beneficial because lead as an additive reduces detonation, and detonation is a huge factor in cars with power adders such as turbos and superchargers. Yes, lead has its downfalls like it creates more carbon build up but I only run it in the car when im looking for the extra performance not everyday. I have decided not to run it in the quad because I feel you guys are right and it wont make much of a noticable difference.

I am still interested in any opinions of the slip ons that are availible whether it be from either of you two or anybody at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Let's ignore for a moment the very controversial subject about whether avgas is good for your machine.

Your bike has low compression and runs best on low octane, somewhere around 86-89 R+M/2. Running ANY high octane gasoline will leave you with unburnt fuel, high carbon deposits, and worse performance than if you used the proper, lower, cheaper gasoline.

In other words, whether you're using avgas or non-oxy VP fuels you're still throwing cash down the drain and shortening the life of your engine.

Of the ones you mentioned, yoshi and Dr D would be my pick. Dr D seems to have grown quite a large following and I believe they're fairly reasonably priced. I do know they're on the quiet end of the sound spectrum.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a dr d, and i love it. Great power gains. sounds amazing. It's priced very well at 250 on ebay. The pro circiut t4 is the same price 250 but is alot louder. in other words, i am very happy with the dr d exhaust

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The specific gravity of aviation fuel is designed to be burned at very high altitudes. It wouldnt burn good down at ground level to begin with. I ran some 98 VP fuel one time in my 700R when it was stock and it seemed to be a little crisper on the responce but power wise it didnt do anything according to the butt-o-meter.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
One last comment on avgas, I was a licensed aircraft mechanic for 9 years and have tried all sorts of avgas and avgas/pumpgas mixtures over the years. Through my experience and later from talking to guys who had been around aviation for a long time, I found out that avgas is formulated to give a smooth, slow flame propagation. It's made for engines that max out at 3500 rpm or less. You will "outrun" the combustion at higher rpm.

As far as a slip on, I am happy with my FMF Powercore4, and you can still use it with an FMF header should you decide to upgrade later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts