Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the engine a year ago, had some issues with the water pump, it leaked coolant into the engine, i fixed all that, got around to cleaning it up and just getting it back into running order. But for a while now the oil has been getting alot of aluminum glitter in it, the engine has about 19 hours on it, and I haven’t really been ripping it around, its an 05 with the stock crank and piston, but new rings, im wondering if just the bearings are going and creating this pinging sound. I had a thread on here about the timing chain because I thought it could have been that, it wasn’t but its still nice to replace that. Any thoughts?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
Is it dull aluminum or shiny like chrome?

·
10,800 Posts
Shiny is probably ball bearings coming apart. It's better to fix it now before it comes completely apart. Chances are all oiled bearings are bad from the contaminated oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shiny is probably ball bearings coming apart. It's better to fix it now before it comes completely apart. Chances are all oiled bearings are bad from the contaminated oil.
Thats what im planning on doing, but could it be crank bearings? The engine has an almost pinging sound around the cylinder and crank area

·
10,800 Posts
Could be, it's a oiled bearing.

·
10,800 Posts
See if they are attracted to a magnet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See if they are attracted to a magnet.
They are not magnetic, but im wondering if its just from piston wear, its the stock piston and the engine makes a fair amount of “knocking” i have a wiseco piston that i never put in so should i just swap them out and hope that helps solve the issue?

·
10,800 Posts
You'll need to have the cylinder measured to see if the new piston will fit. Chances are the cylinder will need to be bored oversize.

The knocking could be the crank or piston slap. You'll need to identify what the cause is.

What kind of clutch did you put in. If you used metallic fibers it's possible to have metallic color in the oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll need to have the cylinder measured to see if the new piston will fit. Chances are the cylinder will need to be bored oversize.

The knocking could be the crank or piston slap. You'll need to identify what the cause is.

What kind of clutch did you put in. If you used metallic fibers it's possible to have metallic color in the oil.
I assumed it’s something around that area, the wrist pin was a bit scored when reassembled my father said it should be ok. But im going to tear it down, the clutch plates i bought were just off of amazon, they were about 50$, could it be the one way bearing because the sound goes away after about 2/4 throttle

·
10,800 Posts
Your machinist will tell you the next oversize.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i took the head off, piston itself seems alright, but it has rotating movement, and a little bit of back and forth movement, im going to check the manual for specs also its a little bit scored by the skirts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts