Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a search and nothing came up for me, except errors so i wanted to ask.

i read someone say that the gytr skid they put on for the swing sits about an inch lower then stock. can anyone confirm this? do all brands have this affect?

i dont want to lose any more ground clearance from the skid if i can avoid it. especially with mudding season just beginning.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes it does, and I think most brands will. Aluminum cannot be molded to follow the same shape as the plastic one, plus you need to account for the thickness of material, as well as the chain slider block.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive never seen one up close, my dealer has to order everything. i figured maybe a 1/4" for the overall thickness over plastic, but an inch seems pretty extreme to me.

your skid looks about like stock with 22's on it, damn.

thanks for the pic though, thats a great reference.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If someone would make a stamped skid I think you could come close to matching the stock one..... and there are stamped parts made from 1/4" plate. When I looked at my skid, which I think looks very well made, I noticed all the "tricky" areas were made out of a separate piece and welded in place. Shoot, I could have made one if I still worked in a sheet metal shop that would have looked the same.
Anyway, you can only put a piece of metal into a brake (to bend it) so many ways and with so much hanging out, whether it's a mechanical or hydraulic brake, so that's why the aftermarket skid is going to grow in certain areas. It all depends on how specialized the shops are that make these things and with ATV models changing I would guess the equipment they use to make these skids is pretty common from shop to shop. Nobody is going to put 20-40 grand into dies and specialized machines that will be obsolete when the new models change something minor. Not unless they're already fabin' something with similar bends.

At least that's what I think.

I remember asking early on what does an inch or half inch really mean for clearance and nobody had a good answer. Obviously a few inches is going to be noticeable, or to go to a quad with IRS (heaven forbid ;) ).... And I'm not saying an inch lower might not hang you up sometime, but to pick and choose your tires or skids based on just an inch :unsure:
I don't know. it just seems minor to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it wouldnt matter too much, except most of the trails i ride im maxed out on now. an inch less ground clearance, and i will be hung up ALOT.

ill probably purchase one anyway and get some mudlites for the winter. glad i asked though, cause i never even thought about the aftermarket molds being different.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Diddly, what tires do you have on your raptor?

·
Registered
965 Posts
pacanis said:
I remember asking early on what does an inch or half inch really mean for clearance and nobody had a good answer. Obviously a few inches is going to be noticeable, or to go to a quad with IRS (heaven forbid ;) ).... And I'm not saying an inch lower might not hang you up sometime, but to pick and choose your tires or skids based on just an inch :unsure:
I don't know. it just seems minor to me.
To me, and inch is A LOT! I just came off a utility quad that would clear a cinder block. For the trails I ride...I need all the clearance I can get.

·
Registered
610 Posts
"To me, and inch is A LOT! I just came off a utility quad that would clear a cinder block. For the trails I ride...I need all the clearance I can get."

I respect your opinion. That's why I said 1" might be the difference of you getting hung up or not. I know it could affect your ride, but I just don't think 1" by itself is a lot in the grand scheme of things. I think picking the right line through ruts and keeping the front end light with some momentum will carry you through more obstacles than choosing a skid based on 1" more ground clearance.

Now, if you can gain an inch with the skid, another with the tire diameter, another with Slimfast and a higher tire pressure.... you get the point. Then I think you're really gaining something on the ground clearance issue. It's sort of like I recently read where adding nerfs is adding weight. Yeah, it is, but what's 6 lbs? Now take away the nerfs, sixpack rack, HID light system, cell phone and Zippo, "spare tire" :grin_nod:.... you might be talking about losing some noticeable weight, not just a fraction that could be noticed, but will probably go unnoticed by Joe Trail Rider.

JMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
bta15 said:
Diddly, what tires do you have on your raptor?
22" ITP Mudlites

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
After bending up several aluminum skids...and loosing several of the gen 1 model gytr skids for the yfz, I said to hell with them.....that just me though.

I run the stock plastic rear skid on my 700...havnt had a problem...and its taken some shots. The thing is, plastic will slide over things easier...doesnt weigh as much....doesnt hang down as far for things to get cought up, and the biggest thing of all is they FLEX and then return to shape.
Now in some scenarios this wouldnt be good, because the "hit" could transfer to the sprocket or disc. BUT, in most cases the plasic will take the brunt of it and not affect the sprocket or disc.
Cant tell you how many times I have seen/ridden with or experienced myself jammed up rear ends...and you cant get home. You bend an aluminum rear skid in the woods and your up a creek unless you have the wrench to take it off.
I know some of you run in some extremely crappy areas..and I do think that running aluminum in the back is a must.
For regular fast paced woods riding though I am stickin with plastic based off everything I have seen and experienced.

ENGINE SKID is a must for everything if you ask me!

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Predator comes with a real nice "thick" plastic skid. Nothing compared to what comes on the Raptor. Boom your just asking for trouble, trail riding with the factory swinger skid.........its going to get ya!........ :crazy:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
135boom said:
After bending up several aluminum skids...and loosing several of the gen 1 model gytr skids for the yfz, I said to hell with them.....that just me though.

I run the stock plastic rear skid on my 700...havnt had a problem...and its taken some shots. The thing is, plastic will slide over things easier...doesnt weigh as much....doesnt hang down as far for things to get cought up, and the biggest thing of all is they FLEX and then return to shape.
Now in some scenarios this wouldnt be good, because the "hit" could transfer to the sprocket or disc. BUT, in most cases the plasic will take the brunt of it and not affect the sprocket or disc.
Cant tell you how many times I have seen/ridden with or experienced myself jammed up rear ends...and you cant get home. You bend an aluminum rear skid in the woods and your up a creek unless you have the wrench to take it off.
I know some of you run in some extremely crappy areas..and I do think that running aluminum in the back is a must.
For regular fast paced woods riding though I am stickin with plastic based off everything I have seen and experienced.

ENGINE SKID is a must for everything if you ask me!
I agree the Engine Skid is a must, I like the swing arm skid as well and I only put the A-arm skids on cause I had all the others and liked the finished look. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
MaxxRPM said:
The Predator comes with a real nice "thick" plastic skid. Nothing compared to what comes on the Raptor. Boom your just asking for trouble, trail riding with the factory swinger skid.........its going to get ya!........ :crazy:

.aaahhhh.......just watch what your running over and how fast your going. I had the yfz since july of 2003. Still on the original disc, and its running a renthal rear sprocket...just cause the stocker wore out. Never had a problem. The plastic skids look like hell, they have gotten beat...but they always bounced back to original form and did there duty!

The raptor one already has some real good gouges (sp) but is still running strong. I should probably knock on wood, but nothing has happened yet! I just watch what I am running over and how hard I hit it.
Usually I am on very fast paced trails in the woods where nothing is really out to get ya. If I am riding snarly crap, I am going so slow that no damage can be done.

To me its just like the nerf argument.....it all depends on the riding you are doing! :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
135boom said:
I should probably knock on wood, but nothing has happened yet!
Well i went ahead and knocked on some wood for ya :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
haha...thanks :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.