Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot about putting the 15 tooth sprocket on and i shoud just get off my ass and get one, but i haven't really read alot about guys racing up sand hills with them. I have my stock gear on now and it seems to be fine, will there still be enough torque in the bike to pull me up with the 15? usually the hills i race up i am shifting into third on the hill not before it. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
215 Posts
we all know that 3rd is the money gear anyway when the bike is stock...after I put in the 15th I noticed the bike just take off once it gets in the power band...I can compare it to a turbo spooling up minus the blow off valve...once the rpms are high enough HOLD ON! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wanted to know the answer to that question too. Alot of people run a 15T on dirt on this forum and get a big boost out of it. But the guys I have talked to about sand have diff stories they are all on the fence about it. Some say to run it some say to stay stock on a steep sand hill running haulers. I run 20 inch hauler with the stock front and 3 mods done. I start in second and every once and a while I feel like I bog the start alittle and give up some bike lengths not all the time but some. I don't do a full throttle dump the clutch in 2nd start though either if I did that I know it wouldn't bog. Im just to nice to my raptor I think :lol: I got a 15T in the mail the other day and have not tried it out yet. Im headed to dumont this weekend and will tell you how it goes. I am worried it will be to much gear to pull with my heavy ass(220lbs) on it up banshee hill at dumont. I have learned the last couple weeks draging sand that short shifting the raptor into 3rd makes the most diff if you win or lose. So if a 15T can make me hold the gear longer I think it will run up the hill faster but not feel as fast if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I asked the same question awhile back. Well, after the first day at dumont last weekend with the 15t, I switched back to the 14. Felt robbed of all hill climbing 3rd gear power. Buddies with yoshi Z450's would now pull me in hillclimbs, temporarely upping their ego's. After 14t was put back on it was back to normal :lol: I think the answer though is no, unless you are lightweight, then the 15t would prolly pull you better(if your really light you might get into 4th anyway) I am 220 with gear and it definetly did not work for me. Felt slower even rally'n around the dunes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See when i was the little saraha (utah) i was pulling 4th gear up sand mountain with the stock 14t gear on, but i have to consider the sand that day was pretty hard and i was running with the stock tires, no paddles, i weigh about 175-180. So i am not sure that i was able to pull that gear because of the hard sand, but i was hitting the same gear in the sand that was soft as well, it could been my tires just spinning but i wasn't loosing any momentum, i dont know? I guess i will get one, hell its only 10 bucks from RMA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm taking my 15T off for the dunes .... unless you have a really moddded engine i dont think the 15t is so main, you land up using 2nd gear in high revs like you used to use 3rd in low revs.... and the raptor with the 14t in 3rd with paddles is the shit 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
R.E.D.L.I.N.E said:
I'm taking my 15T off for the dunes .... unless you have a really moddded engine i dont think the 15t is so main, you land up using 2nd gear in high revs like you used to use 3rd in low revs.... and the raptor with the 14t in 3rd with paddles is the shit 8)
No i just have the basic three mods, but that makes more sense to me, so you have tried the 15T at the sand dunes and didin't like it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well it looks like I'll be leaving my 14T on for Dumont then. Ill still bring it with me Im staying for a week so if I get time I will swap it out for a day and see if I like it. Thanks for the advise :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts