Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
My friend at the Yamaha shop said he takes the outer red foam off his and runs an Outerwear instead. Outerwears covers are good for shedding water and very fine particles.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't know what Outerwear fits. He has a YFZ 450 and may or may not use the same clamp on filter. I plan to get one for my Raptor, but haven't researched it out. I don't know if the dual layer of the UNI is water proof, but the design may keep large amounts of it out. My friend says he only oils the inside layer of his filter and leaves the outside layer dry. He has raced and ridden many types of motorsports toys so I trust his opinions on these things.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do u think i would need to get a outerwear for a uni to run it without a lid cuz i run through alot of water sometimes or would i have to get a different lid with a pre filter on there idk what there called

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am not familiar with the 350 air box design, but if you have a box still that covers the bottom and sides you're probably fine with no lid. Most likely would have to get pretty crazy with water to make it in.

AS FAR AS AN OUTERWEAR ON A FOAM FILTER: It wouldn't hurt anything as long as it fits loosely. If the outwear is a little tight and compresses the foam you are restricting airflow.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What is the worst that could happen if watter does get into the airbox?
Getting into the airbox isn't the problem, its if it gets sucked into the intake. A small amount will just make it sputter and run poorly until passed through. A large amount can blow the motor. Water doesn't compress like air does. It would take a fair amount such as submerging in a creek to cause a blown motor. If you drown an engine, don't try to start it. Pull the spark plug out and then hand crank it. Change the oil asap too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts