Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've searched through the forums and tried to follow them to fix my problem without creating a new thread but here I am. My stepson was riding his mothers 01 660 and he says that it just died while he was cruising, no sputter of any kind. Now it will not turn over, no click, no lights of any kind, no neutral lamp or any on the console. At the battery there is 12.6v, the red wire on top of the relay has 12.6v and at the ignition switch the red wire has 12.6v the brown 12.6v with switch on and nothing on the brown when it is off. This is where I am and any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Craig

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check to make sure the "kill switch" is on,,left hand side,above choke lever.. .. You can also try to jump across the 2 big terminals on the starter relay and see if it turns over..... Let us know 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jumped across the lugs on the relay and it does turn over. The kill switch is on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20amp relay fuse is fine, the spare is in tact as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Try unpluging your stator,,, 2 wire plug on left side of engine,,connector comes though the case...

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Try unpluging your stator,,, 2 wire plug on left side of engine,,connector comes though the case...
No - stator has nothing to do with it....

No lights of any kind makes me wonder whether your measurements are correct... if you have 12V on the brown wire, then 12V should be available for headlights, neutral light, tail and brake lights... So i'm in a quandry. Only thing that might cause this would be bad ground - check voltage between battery negative and the engine block and frame - is it 0, or some positive voltage? If positive, the ground is interrupted somewhere between the battery and the block/frame.

And, since you're measuring voltages, make sure to measure the red/black wire coming from the run/stop switch and leading all the way to the CDI - needs to be 12V when in run at the CDI. If not at the switch end, switch is dirty/wet/corroded and is your problem. Remove and clean it. If at the switch end but not the CDI end, wire is broken somewhere along its path. (but this won't be your problem if you have no lights at all)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assure you measurements are correct. I checked the ground and no voltage at the frame. I checked the black/red wire for voltage at the switch and with the key on and the switch on i get .02v. I will remove it this evening and clean and update.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry to say, but from personal experience... He wasnt just cruising :lol:

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
I assure you measurements are correct. I checked the ground and no voltage at the frame. I checked the black/red wire for voltage at the switch and with the key on and the switch on i get .02v. I will remove it this evening and clean and update.
CHeck the red/white input to the run/stop switch, and the red/black out from the switch (which you already did)... no 12V on the red/white means that the connection from the brown at the key switch to several other browns and the red/white is suspect... they all get 12V from the key switch. Trace brown from the key switch to this junction between it, a couple more browns and one or two red/whites - i suspect one of these junctions is the culprit - this could prevent headlights, etc., from operating, in addition to not starting/running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I just got around to working on the 660 again. When i traced the wiring back from the ignition (brown wire), I noticed the brown wire had pulled from the connector a bit and the small rubber insulator was showing. I seated the wire back into the connector and the the lights came on and the bike will now start. I also put a tad of glue on the wire to keep it from coming back out. Thank you everyone for your help!!

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
BINGO! Glad you found it and it was easy. Good job and don't be a stranger to the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts