Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did a search read as much as I could to see if i can find a identical problem.. got some close relevant threads but yea...

My buddy has a 2004 raptor 660. Its getting hang idle and it takes a good few seconds to go back to the proper idle.

He brought his bike in to a local shop... got the valves re adjusted carbs cleaned and synce and re jetted for is HMF exhaust.

(it had a hang idle even before the exhaust)

Im going to assume theres a air leak or something somewhere.. Now i would of though maybe a boot or something poped off but after sending it in for the tune up the boots would of been put back on properly... Unless theres a crack in the boots?

jetting also would be out of the question since the carbs where re jetted for the pipe... along with being cleaned...

Also when he puts his bike in reverse... it seems to bog out and cut out for abit.. some days worse then others...

Any ideas?

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Pilot circuit is too lean - causes hanging idle and popping on decel - either the pilot jets are dirty (clean the carbs) or turn the fuel screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turn (CCW) each.

Re: reverse, the Rappy has a reverse RPM limiter. Plenty of threads and stickies describing the issue and how to eliminate it... hint: ground the green/white wire that connects to the reverse switch down by the output sprocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks sounds good ill give that a whirl..

Yea Alot of bikes have the same reverse problem... Just his seemed to bog / pop rather then hit the rev limiter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also what size pilots should he put in it?

ITs all stock with airbox lid on except the hmf exhaust...

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
The rev limiter simply stops spark when the limit is reached, so, depending on mods and how the jetting is, this often manifests itself as bogging and popping as the engine is shut down and restarted over and over, and unburnt fuel ends up in the exhuast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah ok makes sense... thanks for the help!

Any ideas on what the pilot should be bumped up to... i would imagine go up 1-2 pilots should suffice.... what is stock?

sorry for the newb Q's.... not familiar with the raptors...

Also the pilots arnt staggered in these carbs are they

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
He can start by just turning the fuel screws out about 1/2 turn each and see if that helps.

Else, assuming his airbox is stock, then 150L/155R mains, 25 pilots and stock needles with clips 2 from bottom, fuel screws at 2 to 2.5 turns out...

if airbox is modifiied or open, then 160L/165R mains, 25 pilots, aftermarket (DG, Vitos or GYTR) needles with clips 3 from bottom, fuel screws at 2.5 to 3 turns out.

All settings are estimated, your mileage may vary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts